• TWO | MANNERS MAKETH MAN •

TWO.

MANNERS MAKETH MAN

— Ⓚ —

GARY "EGGSY" UNWIN

I must say, I really didn't think I would be spending the night locked up in a prison cell.

I was just supposed to go out to the shop to grab Rizlas. But instead, I stayed at the pub with my friends before we got into an argument with my shitty stepfather's gang. After jacking their car keys and nicking their car, I hit a police car.

Probably shouldn't have done it, but it doesn't change the fact that I did.

"Eggsy, there is no such thing as honor amongst thieves," the policeman lectures me while I just lean back in my seat and cross my arms over my chest. "Now, you can start giving me some names of the boys you were with, or you go down. It's up to you."

"I want to exercise my right to a phone call," I answer with a simple shrug.

The cop stares at me for a moment before letting out a sigh of defeat and getting up. "Well, I hope it's to your mum to tell her you're gonna be eighteen months late for your dinner." He then leaves without another word.

I wait a moment before pulling out the Medal of Valor that was given to me years ago when my father died. On the back of the medal, there is a number I was told to call to receive a favor. If I ever get in trouble, I supposedly just have to call up the number on the back of the medal. 

12 . 19 . 97 .

The numbers glare back at me.

I remember what to say, but the longer I look at the numbers, the more obvious it seems to me that this isn't a real phone number. It's way too short. But then again, I don't have any other option. It was either don't call and go to jail, or risk the chance and hopefully get out. Seeing as I'm only twenty-two and an actual adult, I wouldn't be receiving the minimum jail time like an adolescent.

Jail doesn't look too good for me either.

Grabbing the phone, I dial the six numbers and bring the phone up to my ear. There are two short rings before I hear a click on the other side. "Customer Complaints, how may I help you?"

I can't help but be absolutely stumped for a moment. This is nowhere near what I am expecting to hear, but seeing as I have never actually done this before, I'm not quite sure what I should have expected.