• EIGHT AND A HALF | FREE FALLIN' •

EIGHT AND A HALF.

|| ELEVEN AFTER CONSTRUCTION ||

FREE FALLIN'

— Ⓚ —

GARY "EGGSY" UNWIN

I wish I can say my day was done right then and there after my ten hellish laps. Especially as my chest was heaving and I was left gulping for air frantically, my cheeks flushed. Merlin failed to mention Chef would be running with me. And by running with me, chasing me.

Unfortunately, there is still another task the recruits have to complete. Before I know it, Merlin has thrown all of us on a plane in skydiving gear. We don't even get a word out before Merlin steps off the plane, and the plane takes off with Merlin is speaking in our ears about how he is taking the rest of the day off, and Rosalie would be taking it from there.

Which can either be a good thing or a terrible thing for our sakes. She tends to either be easy going with us or making us work until we were dog tired.

Either way, I'm starting to believe Merlin is clinically insane. Sure his challenges have been getting increasingly difficult each week, but jumping out of a plane with hardly any training kind of topped them all.

As I am adjusting the straps around my shoulders, I catch Roxy sitting in front of me with her face twisted up with nerves and terror under the glint of her helmet. Her eyes are squeezed shut, and her whole body is rigid as her mouth continues moving in silent prayer.

Then again, just about each of the six remaining candidates was sitting in two rows facing each other, giving our own silent prayers. Except for Charlie, who's ever-present smirk just made you want to smack it off him.

As the plane suddenly shoots down, I clench my teeth and grip the straps on my shoulders as we make it through the turbulence. "Fuck, fuck, fuck!" Roxy mutters to herself, the higher the plane continues to climb.

"What, don't like heights?" I ask her even though the answer is already apparent as day.

"Yeah, it's okay. I've done it before," Roxy says, starting to trail off in thought as she squeezes her straps tighter, her knuckles becoming white. "Which is probably why, come to think of it."

"Hey, it's gonna be all right," I call out to her in a stern yet comforting tone as I lean forward and hold her knee. "You're top of the class."

"Listen up," Rosalie's voice then echoes throughout the plane's speakers and through our helmets. "Your mission is to land in the target without the radar detecting you. Lucky for all of you, the weather is quite lovely today, so you won't need to be dodging any lightning."