• FIVE | PUPPY COMAS •

FIVE.

PUPPY COMAS

— Ⓚ —

GARY "EGGSY" UNWIN

"As some of you will have learned last night, teamwork is paramount here at Kingsman," Merlin announces from the balcony of the Kingsman manor with his smug smile and crisp sweater. All the recruits and I stand shoulder to shoulder with our hands behind our backs in the gravel lot listening to Merlin. All morning I have been trying to catch sight of the blonde agent, but Rosalie and her father were nowhere to be found. They must have been on a mission, or perhaps Rosalie simply isn't going to be working with us today.

It is only ten AM, and yet I've already done more all day than I have the past three days put together. We were woken up at the crack of dawn only before we were swept away to drilling exercises. Dragged out of our beds, we had to complete a list of tasks before we could even grab something to eat. A good hundred sit-ups, seventy-five push-ups, plank for three minutes, run up and down the manor steps ten times, fifty curls, and to finish it all up, we had to complete fifteen laps around the mansion. Kingsman certainly took their training seriously.

I wore a checked grey siren suit with both ends of the suit tucked into my brown boots. All the recruits have been given different siren suits, each suit having a unique look. I'm not used to wearing a suit and keep tugging on my sleeves, feeling like I'm being suffocated. I can only think longingly of my hoodies and chav hats sitting comfortably on my head even though I know I will likely not be wearing either for some time. Then again, wearing these suits isn't as weird to me as the fact that we are standing outside the mansion with cages full of puppies laid out in front of us.

"We're here to enhance your skills, test you to the limit. Which is why you're gonna pick a puppy. Wherever you go, your dog goes. You will care for it, you will teach it, and by the time it's fully trained, so will you be. Those of you that are still here that is. Do you understand?" After we all nod in agreement, Merlin points towards the cages below him. "Choose your puppy."

I make it to the cages after about half of the puppies have already been chosen. I lock eyes with a small little pup with deep wrinkles around big, dark eyes and a flat round face. His muzzle is black, and his ears are smooth, black, and velvety. With one look at the tanned puppy with his tightly curled tail, I unlock the cage and pull the puppy out. After Merlin hands us collars and leashes for the dogs, I quickly put the collar around the dog's neck, securing the leash as well before we all have to fall back into formation out in the grass lawn underneath a large oak tree and bushes.

I stand between Roxy and Charlie while Merlin is handing us papers telling us how to care and the best ways to train the pups. I take one look at Roxy's dog, and a slight laugh escapes me as I see the tight looped black curls, not even able to see the puppy's face. "A poodle?" I mock her.