Chapter One - A 180 Degree Turn

ONE

Gabriele

"Young master Gabriele. Wakey, wakey, eggs and bakey." A familiar voice prodded me softly, gently shaking me while I hid under the covers.

I groan and turn to my side. The same person shook me again, "You will be late, Yelle."

"No," I managed to mumble in my sleepy state. If there was one thing in the world that I hated more than boiled carrots, it was being disturbed before my alarm goes off, forcing me to get off my pillow-filled bed that smelled like my parents' room. No matter how old someone is, their parents' room will always be more comfortable and smell better.

The person sighed and said with a warningly voice, "Then, you leave me with no choice."

I heard the sound of the curtain being parted and bright light engulfed my whole room. My eyes were still tight shut, but the light from outside was so blinding. Just as I was about to cover my face with the thick blanket, the sheets were pulled away from me in one swift movement. Before I could even protest, I felt myself leaving my soft haven and being lifted into the air.

My eyes shot open when I felt myself being carried bridal style.

"Marco, put me down!" I tried to wriggle free from the family secretary's strong grasp.

"No. You will be late. I have already prepared the bath for you. Now, stop trying to get away. You know it's pointless."

Defeated, I relaxed while sulking during the whole trip towards the bathroom downstairs.

Nobody could get away from Marco, be it through wits or strength. He was our family's personal secretary. His job was being our human planner since my parents were always busy. He would also take care of me and my twelve-year old sister from time to time. I used to think he was part of some mafia because he was intimidating and looked good in a black suit.

"Giuliana, a pleasant morning." He greeted my sister, Yana, as I liked to call her, stepped out of the spacious spa-like bathroom. Yana looked up and nodded at him and gave me an adorable smile.

"Morning, Marco, Yelle." And she left trotting towards the kitchen. Yana was unlike any annoying twelve-year old sister. She was too mature for her age and I absolutely adored her because she was an open-minded person who never looked at me differently despite my quirks.

Marco opened the bathroom door and carefully put me back on the ground.

"Now, be a good young master and take a bath. I'm giving you fifteen minutes. And if I am correct, you still have less than thirty minutes to get to the college if you finish on time."

I just sighed and shooed him out. When he got out, I took off my clothes and went to look at myself in the full-body mirror.

I looked at my natural, slightly tan body. The bruises from the punches I received from my bullies were very visible considering they were a dark purple and some of the older ones were yellowish. I had a bit of muscle. A slightly notable six-pack.

I wish.

No, I was limp as cooked noodles. My face was not oily, but I had pimples. They were little bumps you wouldn't see if you didn't touch my face. I even had a bit of belly fat in spite of being bony. My entire being was a contradiction. Mama would tell me that it was just baby fat and I was overreacting. I shouldn't have baby fat. I was in college, for Pete's sake.

I really need to work out.

Sighing, I stepped in the giant tub and began to wash myself.

As I soaked in the hot, comforting water, I was temporarily relaxed. Twelve minutes later, I stood up from the tub and got out the bathroom with only my towel on and proceeded to my bedroom to change.