Chapter Ten: Angel in her eye

Chapter 10: Angel in her eye

[Tunnel]

"Up. Look up."

The Doctor was already up and scanning the floor as everyone struggles to their feet on an artificial surface.

"Are you okay?" River asked the two sisters.

Emily rubbed her pounding head. "What happened?"

"We jumped."

"Jumped where?"

The Doctor passes them, still scanning the area. "Up. Up. Look up."

"Where are we?"

"Exactly where we were."

Emily looked up, somewhat realising what the two geniuses meant. "Oh. Up."

"No we're not." Amy said, still confused.

"Move your feet." The Doctor sonics a circular hatch in the floor, with six inset lights around it.

"Doctor, what am I looking at? Explain."

"Oh, come on, Amy, think. The ship crashed with the power still on, yeah? So what else is still on?"

Emily, still looking up, answered uncertainly. "Artificial gravity?"

The Doctor tapped her nose, causing her to look back down at his proudly grinning face.

"Exactly. The artificial gravity. One good jump, and up we fell. Shot out the grav globe to give us an updraft, and here we are."

"Doctor, the statues." Octavian called. "They look more like Angels now."

"They're feeding on the radiation from the wreckage, draining all the power from the ship, restoring themselves. Within an hour, they'll be an army."

The circular hatch opens and a light goes bang.

"They're taking out the lights. Look at them. Look at the Angels. Into the ship, now. Quickly, all of you."

"How?"

The Doctor drops through the open hatch into a circular corridor. From Emily's point of view, he was standing on the side of a vertical tube.

"Doctor!" Amy called.

"It's just a corridor. The gravity orientates to the floor. Now, in here, all of you. Don't take your eyes off the Angels. Move, move, move."

[Corridor]

"Okay, men. Go, go, go!"

The Doctor works on a control panel.

"The Angels. Presumably they can jump up too?" Octavian asks.

The hatch closes.

"They're here, now. In the dark, we're finished."

A bulkhead further along the corridor starts to close.

"Run!"

"This whole place is a death trap."

They don't make it. Emily tries her hardest to block out everyone's rising panic.

"No, it's a time bomb. Well, it's a death trap and a time bomb. And now it's a dead end. Nobody panic. Oh, just me then. What's through here?"

"Secondary flight deck."

Amy tried make sense of the situation. "Okay. so we've basically run up the inside of a chimney, yeah? So what if the gravity fails?"

"I've thought about that."