Chapter Twenty One: Of Stars And History✔️

[Vincent's bedroom]

The Doctor stepped out onto the balcony and knocked on the door on Vincent's room, squinting slightly in the bright morning sun.

"Vincent?" He called. "Vincent?"

When Vincent didn't answer, he slowly opened the door and found his newly formed friend lying stomach down on his bed, head turned away and buried into his pillow.

It took the Doctor a moment to realise that the painter was crying.

Within a few short strides, he crossed the room and hesitantly crouched at the end of the bed.

"Vincent." He said with a gentle voice. "Can I help?"

The painter turned his head to face him, eyes red and puffy.

"It's so clear you cannot help." He said quietly, sorrow clear in both his voice and face. "And when you leave, and everyone always leaves, I will be left once more with an empty heart and no hope."

"My experience is that there is, you know, surprisingly, always hope." The Doctor replied tenderly.

But Vincent shook his head slightly, more tears pooling in his eyes.

"Then your experience is incomplete. I know how it will end. And it will not end well."

The Doctor looked at him sadly and stood up. "Come on. Come out. Come on, let's go outside."

"Get out!" Vincent said, suddenly raising his voice. "You get out. What are you doing here? What are you doing here?"

"Very well." The Doctor softly said, backing away from the distressed man and opening the door reluctantly. "I'll leave. I'll leave you."

[Courtyard]

The two Pond sisters looked up as the Doctor walked out of the house.

Without Vincent.

"What's happening?" Amy demanded.

"We're leaving." The Doctor informed them. "Everyone knows he's a delicate man."

"Don't say that." Emily told him. "Please."

"As much as I don't want it to be true, it is. Just months from now he'll, he'll take his own life."

She swallowed thickly and glanced back at the small house.

"What do we do now?" She faintly heard Amy ask.

"I don't know."

"There has to be something we can do."

"Of course there is. We just don't know what that something is yet."

"Speak for yourself." Emily said, brushing past Amy and Doctor as she made her way across the Courtyard.

The eldest red head watched in confusion as her sister opened the front door of Vincent's house, entering without a second thought and softly closing the door behind her.

"Doctor, what is she doing?"

"How am I supposed to know? She's your sister."

[Vincent's House]

Emily made her made through the house, carefully dodging wet canvases and calling out to the painter.