Chapter Nineteen: Remembering the Forgotten

[Court]

"Fire!" Restac ordered.

"Stop!"

Everyone turned to face the entrance and out from the shadows came two figures.

"You want to start a war while the rest of us sleep, Restac?"

She bristled angrily. "The apes are attacking us."

"You're our protector, not our commander, Restac. Unchain them."

She glared at him and tilted her head up haughtily.

"I do not recognise your authority at this time, Eldane."

Eldane opened his arms mockingly. "Well then, you must shoot me."

"You woke him to undermine me." Restac said furiously to the other figure.

Malohkeh.

"We're not monsters." He replied. "And neither are they."

"What is it about apes you love so much, hmm?"

"While you slept, they've evolved." He glanced at Emily and she shook her subtly. "I've seen it for myself."

"We used to hunt apes for sport. When we came underground, they bred and polluted this planet." Restac spat.

Eldane had grown tired of their bickering.

"Shush now, Restac. Go and play soldiers. I'll let you know if I need you."

"You'll need me, then we'll see."

[Crypt]

Rory and Amy were pressing every possible button, trying in vain to pull up something on the screen.

"Nothing." Rory said.

Amy kept pressing buttons. "There's got to be something. We've got to get down there."

Suddenly the screen switched to life, the Doctor's grinning face appearing front and centre.

"Rory. Hello."

Amy shoved Rory out of the way.

For the third time.

"Where's Emily?" She demanded.

"Hello Amy Pond! She's fine." He gestured just behind him. "Look, here, she is."

"Oh, thank God."

"You really think I'm that easy to get rid of?"

"No time to chat. Listen, you need to get down here. Go to the drill storeroom. There's a large patch of earth in the middle of the floor. The Silurians are going to send up transport discs to bring you back down using geothermal energy and gravity bubble technology. It's how they travel and frankly, it's pretty cool. Bring Alaya. We hand her over, we can land this after all. All going to work, promise. Got to dash. Hurry up."

The transmission ended before anyone could reply.

"The moment we get down there, everything will fall apart." Mack warned.

"We have to return her." Rory said. "They deserve at least that."

[Court]

"I'd say you've got a fair bit to talk about." The Doctor announced.

Eldane gazed at him curiously. "How so?"