Chapter 6: Drop Dead Gorgeous

Everly

We quickly paid the fee- Well Mia and Hannah did, after that we got some lunch, and went venturing into a shoe store. We then rushed to our makeup appointment where to match the dress; I got a silver-light blue look.

"Mia, which one are you gonna get?"

"Mm...Probably a bold red to match my shoes. Wait no, a smokey eye. Um... I'll have the red one."

"What about you Hannah?" I chuckled.

"I think I'll have a gold-black-white kinda look, you'll see."

"Sounds beautiful," I said with a nice smile.

Hannah, Mia, and I finished our session and went to the next one, hair. I had my hair up in a bun with a few strands hanging down. Mia had her hair in a fishtail braid. Hannah's was more unique; her bangs were braided back and turned into a bun. Her hair matched her persona, like her dress.

After we had everything, we rushed back to our hotel and started carefully putting our dresses on, not wanting to ruin our hair.

"Okay guys ready to go?" I asked looking in awe at myself in the mirror.

"You guys look amazing!"

"Thanks! So do you!" Mia and I said at the exact same time.

"Okay, we should get going," Hannah giggled.

"Yeah we don't want to be too late, we should have left 20 minutes ago," I said panicking.

"Hey, you're the one that slowed us down!"

"Whatever," I said rolling my eyes.

We had to walk to the ball since we were late, it was only a few blocks away, but it felt like miles in heels.

_________

We got there about 20 minutes later, but luckily we were just in time, 2 minutes later and we wouldn't have been allowed in anymore.

"Masks on ladies." Mia said as we put our masks over our faces.

The first thing I thought when I walked in was,

"Whoa."

"My thoughts exactly," Mia said in awe.

"What do you think Hannah?"

"I've been to plenty of these things before but this is truly amazing."

"Anyways, let's start mingling. Mia? Where'd Mia go?"

"Found her," Hannah said pointing her out.

"Of course," I said, she was being surrounded by a group of guys, and then all of a sudden she pointed over to Hannah and me.

"Oh hell no. No, no, no."

"Nope. Not today." I said rushing out of view as quickly as I could.

__________

"Hey, why so sad?" A man said coming up and sitting next to me.

"Huh?" I said looking up.

He had brown hair and was wearing a black suit; he was cute but looked rich and snotty.

"May I sit here?"

"Sure...It's not like I have anyone else to sit with."

"So you must be pretty important to be here, at this party I mean."

"No. I'm not actually. I came here as a 'field trip', my school paired with the host, and now I'm here, in an elaborate dress, unlike myself."

"Well, at the least, you look amazing."

"Thanks I-"

"Everly they-they need someone to sing, the musician got stage fright and is refusing to perform c-can you do it?" Mia interrupted quickly out of breath.

"Wh-what but I-I...I can't..."

"Please... You-you owe Hannah and I.."

"Okay...But I won't enjoy it."

I walked up onto the stage, confusion showing on everyone's faces.

"What do I sing?" I asked Mia panicking.

"Sing what you like. As long as it's a slower song."

"Okay, um..."

"Ahem. Hi. I'm Everly I'm a...Stand in. I will be singing Bruno Mars, Just The Way You Are."

Ohh her eyes, her eyes, make the stars look like they're not shining

Her hair, her hair falls perfectly without her trying

And she's so beautiful...And I tell her every day

When I see your face...There's not a thing that I would change, cause girl you're amazing

Just the way you are

And when I see you smile... The whole world stops and stares for a while, cause girl you're amazing

Just the way you are

By this time I could feel the rhythm in my bones, I felt like I was born to sing this, like nothing could stand in my way, I knew that I would finish singing this song for me, for my parents. I couldn't keep crying over my loss, I needed to stand up and face my feelings. Just the way you are.

I finished the song prouder, braver than I had felt in the last 11 years. I smiled looking into the crowd trying to find Mia or Hannah, but the first face I saw was the man I was talking to earlier. Suddenly, in the blink of an eye, he took off his mask, and I recognized who it was...

Karson Kape