Chapter 21: The Father

Everly

I was in the middle of a good dream about my parents when I woke to someone shaking me.

"Everly wake up! It's time to go! We're gonna be late!" Karson screamed at me.

"Wh-" I said slowly opening my eyes to see bright blue ones staring in my face. "Jesus!" I squealed jumping back.

"Sorry." He smiled sheepishly.

"Don't creep up on me like that!"

"Okay okay, I won't do it again."

"That's better."

"Now can you get ready?"

"Yeah. What time is it?"

"Time for you to get a watch." Alex chuckled from the corner.

"DON'T TEST ME BOY," I yelled in response.

"Sheesh, noted."

"It's 9:00," Karson said in between laughs.

"What's your problem?" I asked glaring at him.

"You're usually so nice but you're cranky in the mornings. It's something new." He laughed one last time.

"Shut up." I scowled standing up to go pick out my clothes.

"Ah, I already picked out your outfit." He said handing me my undergarments and blue dress.

"Wha wh- YOU WENT THROUGH MY SUITCASE?!"

"Hey, it's not like I...I didn't go through your stuff in that way. I just wanted to help out, I'm not like that."

"Mmm fine..." I said gazing at his beautiful face to see if he was lying.

"I'm not one to lie."

"All right well I'm going to go change," I started walking towards the bathroom and he followed me. I went inside and started to close the door but he held it open. "Uhh Karson. What're you doing?" I asked.

"Aww can't I come in too?"

"YOU SICKO, GET OUT." And with that, I slammed the door.

"Talk about a letdown," He mumbled and I quietly laughed.

"I heard that!"

I quickly changed into the silky fabric and then started on my hair and makeup. I used a few of the techniques Missy taught me until it was acceptable and then I did my short hair into soft bouncing curls. I smiled at myself in the mirror.

"Karson, can you come here?"

"Yeah one sec," He said and a moment later he was at my side. "You look beautiful, darling."

"Thank you. I was wondering if you could help me put my necklace on?" I asked picking it up from the counter.

"Of course." I held my hair up and handed it to him. His gentle fingers brushed across my neck as he put it on. He lowered his hands and as I was about to thank him he leaned in and kissed the back of my neck where his fingers were just seconds before. And surprisingly, I liked it. We heard a gasp behind us and quickly broke apart. I turned around to see Alex standing there with silent tears rolling down his face.

"Alex I-" I reached out to him but he turned away and went out the door.

"I'll talk to him," Karson assured me. "Now let's go."

I grabbed my purse, hat, sunglasses, and then we left.

________

"You have a huge house. Well, condo." I said in awe.

"Thanks. But what happened inside is what still scars me," he smiled sadly.

I thought back to the time when he told me that his dad would sometimes abuse him. I knew I had made the right choice to come along. There was no way he could do this alone and I wouldn't let him go through that pain again. I had obviously grown attached to this handsome man and I felt the need to protect him.

"It'll be okay. I'm here with you." I squeezed his shoulder.

"You don't know how much that means to me."

"Oh, I think I do."

"Let's go in." He said signaling that the conversation was over.

When we walked in I was shocked. Of course, I knew that his family was loaded but I was not expecting it. What I first registered was marble. It was everywhere. This pristine house was the epitome of beauty but I would never forget what Karson said.

"Hello Karson, and who's this beautiful women next to you?" A man with brown hair laced with streaks of white asked.

"Dad, Everly. Everly, Dad."

"Nice to meet you." He smiled warmly and stuck out his hand.

I kept my face blank and hesitantly shook his hand.

"To you as well." I kept my voice flat.

He brought his hand back and wiped it on his expensive suit. I rolled my eyes and heard Karson chuckle and turn it into a cough. But his father noticed and gave us a disapproving look.

"How did you two meet?" He asked harshly.

"We met at the Hollister Ball a few months ago. She was the girl I told you about. You know the one that sang."

"Oh. That girl. Everly Annalore. Daughter of Jae. Of course, you can sing."

"H-How did you?"

"I have my sources." He smiled the family signature smirk.

"I'm...Going to go to the restroom," Karson said getting up. "Don't trust him." He whispered in my ear before he left.

"So I was wondering. Would you like the chance to sing with my Karson? You know, a business opportunity. I can arrange everything. All you have to do is sing as you were born to do." He asked waiting for me to say the obvious answer.

"You are a horrible man." I sneered.

"Whatever do you mean?" He asked, his smile turning into a frown.

"Drop the act. I know everything you did to Karson. All the beatings, the neglect. You are simply the worst father in existence. And you don't deserve him."

"Watch your tongue little lady, I can expose you." He said his smile returning.

"Then expose me. I honestly don't care because he's worth it. I will fight for him. Because GOD DAMNIT HE IS THE BEST MAN I'VE EVER MET! HE'S ALREADY SURPASSED YOU. AND IF YOU DON'T MAKE IT UP TO HIM SOON YOU'LL LOSE HIM FOREVER! THEN YOU WON'T HAVE ANYONE LEFT EXCEPT FOR YOUR PLAY TOY WOMEN!" I screamed and his mouth dropped open.

"Why you little-" He reached up to hit me but Karson magically appeared and caught his arm. I took advantage and punched him in the face as my father taught me. Thumb on the outside. When the blood started gushing out of his nose Karson released him.

"You will not touch her." He said with a fire in his eyes. He grabbed my waist and we walked out of the house.