Chapter Three

Louis

Preston's mobile rings, breaking the other lads' silence. He answers it, as we all watch carefully. "Okay" he says into it, and then he hangs up slides it into his pocket.

"Let's roll" he says.

-

Callin

The screaming is a bit intense here. One Direction have got to have the loudest fans. I'm not one for screaming, really. Or pledging myself to a bunch of boys I don't know. But these sightings of them can be fun, which is why I'm here. It's something to do. And I can be around people that don't know anything about me.

I'm standing at the front of the crowd when a van pulls up and the boys climb out. I'm sort of a fan of their music, I suppose. August, my last foster sister, loved them.

I turn my head to look behind me, just in time to see the guy with the gun poinnt it at Louis Tomlinson. And I know this is what I have to do.

I step in front of it.

-

Louis

We drive for hours. Really. It seems like we should have hit the ocean by now. We are definitely not in London anymore.

"Where do you think we're going?" asks Harry softly. I shrug.

The other lads are asleep. I had thought Harry was, too, but no. He's awake. Very awake. I wonder how long he's been awake.

"Somewhere" I whisper. "Maybe Narnia." Harry laughs softly.

"That'd be alright" he says.

I smile slightly, though I'm sure he can't see it in the dark. "Better then here."

-

Callin

The blaring smoke alarm wakes me up. I'm nine years old, and it's really late at night. At first, I don't know what I'm hearing. And then I remember the day that Mum turned on these very alarms, when I was six, telling me that if I ever heard them, I should get out of the house right then.

I carefully swing my feet out of bed and walk to my door. There's smoke all around me. My parents' bedroom is right next to mine, and I'm about to go and ask them what's going on, but then I remember what else Mum told me.

When I hear the alarms, I leave. Don't go looking for her and Dad. Go outside and ask the neighbors to call 999. I turn, head down the stairs. The way to the front door is clear, and I make it out easily. I haven't quite grasped the seriousness of the situation. I don't quite understand that my parents could die. I feel stuck in a dream.

I ring the neighbor's doorbell. There's some shuffling from inside, and then Mrs. Donohan opens the door. "Callin?" she asks sleepily, and then she yawns. "What are you doing here?"

"Mum told me to dial 999 if the alarms go off" I say. Mrs. Donohan frowns, and looks past me out the door. Her eyes widen when she see my house. I turn and follow her gaze. There are flames leaping out of my parents' window.

Mrs. Donohan retreats into her house, pulling me with her. I watch silently as she picks up the phone and dials a number.

"The house next door is on fire" she says. "There are still two people inside." She gives the address and hangs up. She turns to me.

"Come here, Callin" she says, and she pulls me into a hug.

It still feels like a dream.