Chapter Twenty-One

Callin

We finally make it down to the cafeteria, after the long, uncomfortable elevator ride.

I mean what I said to Paul, though.

I don't know if Zayn dreamed when he was asleep, but I know that even without the dreams, I was terrified.

I was scared to go to sleep, that first night.

I was scared I wouldn't wake up.

I can't believe Liam didn't notice me that night, tossing and turning. We had been sharing the room at the house, and our beds weren't that far apart. I hadn't slept more then an hour that whole night.

I'd bet Zayn feels the same way; closing his eyes scares him. And if he's anything like me, he won't want to be left alone to worry about it.

We all get dinner from the cafeteria and take it back up to Zayn's room. He's still sitting up in bed, and he grins when we walk in.

“Smells amazing” he says hopefully. Paul grins, and hands him a styrofoam container. The rest of us sit down in the various chairs around Zayn's bed.

For a few minutes, it's silence, as everyone eats.

“Have you heard anything about Niall?” Zayn finally asks.

Paul glances around at us, as if he's daring us to say anything. But what could we say? We don't know anything, either.

“Nothing” he tells Zayn. “He made it through operation. That's all we know.” Zayn sighs.

“Thanks” he says. “For telling me, I mean.”

Paul nods.

“I'll be outside if you need me” he says. “Make 'em leave the second you get tired, Zayn” Zayn flashes him a thumbs up, grinning.

Paul leaves the room.

We sit there in silence for a few minutes, nobody looking anyone else in the eye. But it's not awkward so much as almost funny. None of us wants to get in trouble with Paul again.

I really wish I could talk to Zayn alone. I want to let him know he can talk to me.

“Hey, Liam” Louis says suddenly. “I have to go to the toilet.”

Liam blinks.

“Have fun?” he says.

Louis grabs his wrist. “Come on” he says, dragging Liam out of the room, and almost falling over his crutches.