Chapter Two

Louis

The girl is lifted out of my arms, and security reforms their their phalanx around us. I can't quite make sense of what's going on. We're rushed into the building.

“What happened?” asks someone, a woman. She was evidently waiting for us.

“Don't know” says one of the security guards. Neither do I.

I hear sirens approaching. “Good” says the women. “They're on their way.”

“What's going on?” Harry asks loudly. We're all just sort of standing here, just inside the door.

“Come on” says the woman, and she leads us down a hall into a room. I fall onto the nearest couch.

I can still see that girl's face in my mind.

Someone comes into the room. The head of our security team, Preston. “We lost him” he says. The woman sighs.

“How did he know the boys were here?” she asks.

“Everyone knows” Preston replies.

“Would someone please tell us what's going one?” Harry shouts. Preston looks straight at him when he answers.

“Someone tried to kill Louis.”

-

Niall

We all look at Louis when Preston says that. He's gone completely white. “What-what do you mean, someone . . . what?” he stammers out.

“Someone tried to shoot you” Preston replies bluntly. “They hit a fan instead.” Louis swallows. “The girl is en route to the hospital in critical condition.”

“Will . . . will she be . . . okay?” asks Louis.

“We don't know yet” Preston replies. Louis rests his head in his hands.

“This is my fault” he moans. Preston frowns.

“It's not your fault” he says.

“Yes it is!” Louis protests. “I-” He doesn't manage to finish the sentence.

“Someone sent him a threat this morning” Liam explains.

“Why didn't you tell me?” asks Preston. I can tell he's trying hard not to be angry.

“I thought it was nothing” Louis moans. Liam sighs,