Chapter Twelve

Louis

Preston comes back with the crutches then, and I've got no more time to wonder.

“Louis, we've got a four hour drive to London” he says, first thing when he walks in the door. “We've got to go now.”

“I don't get to sit here and mourn for my foot for a few minutes?” I ask. Preston just rolls his eyes.

“Where are Harry and Liam?” he asks.

“Kitchen” Zayn says, appearing in the doorway to the said room. “They're still cleaning up.”

“How long are they gonna take?” Preston asks, sounding a bit angry.

“Not long at all” Harry says, appearing behind Zayn. “We're done.”

“Well, let's go” Preston says, tossing me the crutches. One of them hits me pretty hard in the chest.

“Ow” I mutter angrily.

“Should have caught them, mate” Zayn says.

“Shut up” I say.

“Have fun at the interview!” Niall says quickly, probably to diffuse the situation. I stick a crutch firmly on the floor and try to get up. It doesn't work.

So I try again.

It doesn't work.

Finally, Harry takes pity on me and helps me up.

“Bye, guys!” Liam calls to Niall and Zayn and Callin.

“Have fun” Niall says again.

“Shut it” I tell him, as I limp out to the van on my crutches. Then the door closes and we get in the van and we're on our way.

-

Four hours later, we finally pull up outside a building right in the middle of London. It doesn't look like the place to hold a TV studio, but these places never do.

There are police all over the outside of the building. There are no screaming fans, and I wonder if this was really kept that much of a secret or if the police made them leave.

I don't know if I could deal with a crowd.

As it is, I feel so exposed, limping from the van to the building on my crutches. The police are here, and I'm safe, and I know I'm safe, but I still feel like someone's watching me.

I wonder if that feeling will ever go away.