Chapter Seventeen

Louis

“I'm sorry I shouted at you” I tell Liam, when he comes back to my room a few hours later.

“I'm sorry I . . . I'm sorry I didn't try to help” he says, looking down at his feet. I frown.

“What do you mean?” I ask.

“I ran” he says. “I knew you were out there and I just ran. I knew people were in trouble and I ran and I didn't look back.”

And then I feel bad for Liam.

I didn't think other people might be guilty as well.

“I did the same thing” I say softly. “I thought that man shot you and I didn't got back to find out.”

“You thought I was dead” Liam says. “I don't blame you.”

“I don't blame you either” I tell him. “I can't blame you.”

“We sound pathetic” Liam says, the corner of his mouth, twitching up. “'It's not your fault, it's mine.' Can't we just decide to blame the bastards that did this?” I sigh.

“I'll never stop blaming myself” I tell him. “No matter what you say.”

“Promise me they're at least half to blame then” Liam says, the corner of his mouth turning up.

“Fine” I say. “I promise.”

“Have the doctors said anything about Zayn or Niall?” Liam asks, finally taking a seat in the chair next to my bed. I shake my head.

“They haven't said anything to you?” I ask him. I would've thought he'd know all the things that nobody wanted to tell me.

“I was getting a hotel” he tells me. “Though I don't think I'll be spending much time there.”

“Oh” I say, for lack of a better word. “Uhm . . . well, they don't tell me anything.”

“I guess that's good” Liam replies. “I mean . . . no news is good news, right?”

I know what he means.

They'd tell us if Niall or Zayn . . . if they . . . I can't even think it.

I don't want to think it.

“They have to be fine” I mumble.

Liam rests a hand on mine, a gesture that's supposed to be comforting, but it just reminds me of Harry. That's something he does.

Used to do.

No, does.