Chapter Nineteen

Callin

There's a knock on the door, and Louis and I spring apart. He jumps up from the bed to answer it, leaving me to think about what just happened.

And how I feel about it.

And . . . I want it to happen again.

I want more.

I want to keep kissing Louis.

It's Liam at the door. He says something to Louis that I don't quite catch, and then he shuts the door. Louis turns back to me, face tinted red, looking a bit apologetic.

“Did Preston tell you?” he says. “We have an interview.”

-

“Well this sucks” Liam comments. I glance over at Louis, to see him staring down at his feet.

“No kidding” I say softly.

We're sitting around backstage, waiting for the interview to start. It's about half an hour away. Paul, this new and old security guard is in here with us.

He seems nice enough, I suppose. He's taking over the head of security again, which is what he was before.

I don't know how I feel about that, actually.

I mean, I was just getting used to Preston, starting to like him.

“I mean, seriously, the same lady?” Liam says, a fake smile on his face.

He's trying to make us feel better. And I know these boys well enough already to know that it's normally Louis' job to joke around, to make everyone feel better, to lighten every bad mood, but that if he doesn't, one of the others steps in. And it's Liam's turn now.

He's just trying to make Louis feel better.

But it's not going to work.

None of us are happy to be here, and the tension in the room is solid. And the interviewer is the same woman as the last one.

Just a week ago.

“Sucks” I mumble, glancing at Louis again.

He's still staring at his feet.

And then he sniffs.

“Louis?” I say softly.

“Harry should be here” he says, his voice shaky. He sounds on the verge of tears. “We shouldn't be here without Harry.”