CHAPTER 6

An intense wave of pain bored through Jake's forehead. What the

He winced, grimaced, and tried to shake it away. Before he realized what happened, his eyes burst open and his chest heaved in deep.

Tony's wide-eyed smile greeted him under the water. A bubble seeped from his parted lips and wafted toward the surface.

Then it became clear to Jake, in order to jar his reflexes, Tony had rammed his head into the cage. His natural response was to breathe. Regardless, he wanted to smack the knucklehead square in the jaw until the moment he realized his partner and friend had saved his life.

Tony pointed to the mangled trap door.

Jake breathed deep and handed back the regulator. A thank you would be in order if the opportunity presented itself. They took turns with the air as they pushed and pulled until exhaustion set in. Seconds of exertion nudged the steel grid a fraction of an inch.

Then Tony tapped a finger on his temple. He had an idea. He swam off, but Jake reached out, took the mouthpiece from his lips and inhaled enough air to keep his body satisfied for the next few moments. This better be a good idea, and fast.

Tony swam off and returned seconds later.

Jake recognized the object in his hand. The lock pin he used to fend off the fish. Tony must have seen it on his way to the cage.

He slid the rod between two bars on the door and started prying as Jake pushed from the inside.

It cracked a hair's width.

Tony's eyes bulged, and a vein popped out on his neck. He floated up in apparent frustration and brought the bottom of his heels down on the improvised crowbar. To Jake's surprise, the trap door sprung open six inches. With renewed vigor, they wrestled the door the rest of the way open.

Jake extended a hand, and Tony pulled him free.

As they ascended, their original directive came to mind. Jake knew their boss would be irate if he learned Sarah went unsupervised for any length of time. He brushed the thought aside and assured himself he had nothing to worry about. Or so he hoped.