CHAPTER 37

As if an angry rhino sprang to life, the diesel grumbled and shook beneath Jake and Sarah. The semi lurched forward, moving closer to the open garage door, its turn to load or unload drawing near. The bright interior of the warehouse loomed ahead, threatening to trap them on top of the tanker. Jake couldn't imagine a scenario where they dismounted the rig indoors and slipped away undiscovered. He checked again. The two guards loitered in the same location.

Air brakes engaged, and the truck slowed to a halt. Light spilled from inside the building.

An antagonizing minute ticked by as each guard lit a cigarette and stood around like they had nothing better to do. The two men jabbered between themselves. In the middle of their meaningless conversation, a shout from inside the warehouse stole their attention.

The sentries threw down their cigarettes and bolted toward the authoritative voice. Jake waited a few seconds.

Sarah clambered half over him, half beside him, using his back as a platform to push herself past him and to the ladder. Jake followed her over the edge. As soon as his feet hit the ground, the diesel roared to life, and the truck rolled forward. He wanted to complain about how she didn't wait for him to make his move, but she didn't give him a chance. She darted along the front of the warehouse and then shot into a dark alley. Once again, Jake hustled to keep up.

"I have an idea," she said.

"I was about to go down the ladder."

"I saw an opportunity and took it, Jake. I was afraid you'd lock up again."

"I didn't lock up, I just hesitated." He wagged his head. "So, what's your idea? I'm listening."

Footsteps and laughter.

Sarah peeked around the corner of the building next door. It was made of brick and mortar instead of metal, like the giant warehouse. Jake snugged up next to her, and without thinking, placed a hand on her hip. This drew a soft glance back at him, acceptance of his touch.

At their proximity, a delightful warmth rushed through Jake's body.

Sarah turned away as the same two guards, who were busted for taking a smoke break, walked through the front doors.

"My plan just got easier." And that was all she had to say. She sprinted for the entrance with Jake in tow. As the sentries disappeared down the hallway, they entered the building behind them.

To their left, a sign on a door read, LOCKER ROOM. Sarah ushered Jake inside and shared her plan with him.

He grinned mischievously. "That sounds like something I'd come up with."

"Well, good. It'll work, trust me."

When the guards' voices erupted outside the room, Jake found a hiding place as Sarah opened the door. She peered into the hallway and brushed back a wavy length of hair. As the men responded to her, she didn't have to say a word. She slunk back into the room; the guards following her.

From behind the door, Jake saw the handle of a service pistol tucked away in its holster. With the men's attention diverted, he snuck up and yanked the gun out with a quick swipe.

The guards spun around.

Jake trained the weapon on them. "You," he pointed to the other guard, "with two fingers on the grip, nowhere near the trigger. Take your gun out... and do it slowly."