CHAPTER 50

Sarah ran her finger over the limousine's plush leather seat and then turned her eye to the polished red wood trimming out a row of buttons on the door panel. She pushed a few buttons and toggled a switch, trying to lower the window, which was tinted too dark to see through, hoping to glimpse where Ishikawa was taking her. She only got a small television to fold down from the ceiling. The LCD hummed as it descended from its housing and locked into place. She pressed the same button and the flat screen returned to its compartment, blending with the roof of the car. Beyond the other seat that faced her, a divider separated the driver from the vehicle's rear compartment.

"Where are you taking me?" Sarah slammed an elbow into the back of the seat. "And what have you done with Jake and Tony?"

She wanted to beat on the glass divider, but reckoned it an effort in futility. She forced several deep breaths through her nose, trying to calm herself. A few seconds later, the reality of her situation set in. She had never put much stock in a higher power. Science should drive someone away from faith, but that's what she needed now; she needed to believe that everything would work out, that they'd all be okay. Then it hit her. She could only pray for Jake and Tony, put them in the hands of God, if he was real, and hope for the best.

The realization left her feeling powerless.

The ride had lasted at least thirty minutes, and since the outer windows were tinted black, she didn't know where they were going or what plans they had for her.

Okay. What could she control? Her emotions, of course. But even that seemed out of her grasp. Anger burned her eyes. Sarah still couldn't believe she allowed herself to get abducted, and worse than that, watched as an assassin led her friends away to die. She wanted to escape, but currently, she couldn't. She had to play along until an opportunity presented itself.

The limo slowed and turned onto another road. Judging by how her body leaned to the right, it felt like the car had made a lefthand turn. Maybe they were headed away from inland and toward the ocean, if they were still driving south? She tried to keep her sense of direction as Ishikawa departed the hotel. She guessed York Street ran north and south, and since they were facing north when they pulled from the curb, she'd been able to keep track of every turn. Using those deductions, Sarah determined they'd turned left off of York onto King Street. A short while later, the chauffeur made another left and headed south, which seemed to be the general direction they'd taken for most of the ride. 

Gravel crunched beneath the tires. Several minutes into the new course change, the vehicle stopped, and she heard the driver's door open and slam shut. Then her door opened.

As soon as Sarah stepped from the limo, an emotionless Ishikawa placed a sackcloth bag over her head. She never caught sight of Kevin. He likely had remained in the car to avoid seeing her. Coward.

The only thing she saw before the hood covered her eyes were two bright halogen lights towering above her on separate poles. Ishikawa led her along a beaten path that turned smooth after ten or twelve paces. Concrete or asphalt now. Sarah stumbled forward when they took to a grated incline, her captor catching her by the arm to keep her from falling. The sound of their shoes clopping on metal echoed around them. Then they started up a set of stairs.

The only clue to her whereabouts was the salty smell of ocean water riding a gentle breeze.

"We are almost to top of stairway," Ishikawa said. "Careful. Last step is tricky."