CHAPTER 34

Nestled over a vast plain, a sprawling network of warehouses and factory-style buildings lay, all surrounding a giant structure that resembled a domed stadium. A chain-link fence topped with barbed wire encompassed the entire complex. Beneath Jake and Sarah, Zanderthal's limo eased to a stop at the main gate.

It occurred to Jake that the complex could be an operational facility where Ocean Blue performed the bulk of its scientific research. But it made more sense for a place like that to be on the sea with an accessible ship port. Why would a marine research corporation carry out its hands-on work at a land-locked facility in a hidden valley? No matter how he looked at it, it didn't add up.

He knew the silver Audi would glimmer on the hillside, so he backed the car down the incline, out of sight. Sarah and Jake returned to the cliff edge and watched as a guard permitted the limo to pass through the barrier fence. Straining against the sun, he saw the guard re-enter his small outpost and activate the swinging gate. Out of fear someone might spot them, Jake tugged on Sarah's arm and advised her to lie flat with him on the ground. He scanned the area above them and found it void of vegetation, appearing to be some kind of rock quarry. The excavated ridge would do little to conceal them, even in the fading light.

"Why don't you get the binoculars?" Sarah said. "They're in the car."

"I―"

"Come on, I let you be the boss this morning in Zanderthal's office. Do a lady a favor."

"Anything else you'd like while I'm out?" He offered a sarcastic grin. The smirk faded fast. "Don't answer that." He wanted to add to the backlash, but thought better of it. He wouldn't gain anything by arguing with Sarah unless he had a strong case as backup. In the past, he usually wound up on the losing end. So, with a teasing smile, he started for the car.

"Where did you put them?" Jake said without looking back.

"I think they're in the back seat."

The field-glasses were there alright, sticking out from under Sarah's laptop case. He paused for a moment. She hadn't given him trouble since Orlando, but she had another thing coming if she thought she was going to boss him around on this expedition. He removed the binoculars, but as he did, the strap caught on the leather case and spilled the contents into the floorboard.

Jake returned the notebook computer to its proper compartment, as well as a wireless mouse. Beneath the laptop, a folded piece of paper surprised him and his mind flashed back to when Sarah crammed something into her case at the Atlantis resort. He remembered her tearful eyes and assumed she was just being emotional about Ben's death. She tried to act nonchalant about the matter. He read little into the incident and hadn't given it much thought since.

He bent over and picked up the paper. He opened it and read the first few sentences:

Sarah, please forgive me. I was so stupid to take Rachel home with me. Believe me, I didn't sleep with her. I swear.

He had written the letter hoping to win her back.

"Come on," Sarah said. "Time's a ticking."

Jake fumbled with the note, refolded it, and crammed it into the case. "I got them." He returned with the binoculars, held them up for her to see.

She studied him with careful eyes. "What's got you so tense?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"How about I take the first look?"

Jake relinquished the field-glasses and watched as she turned her focus to Zanderthal's compound. "The limo has stopped," she said. "It's parked next to that huge arena-like building, at a side entrance. I bet the Orlando Magic could seat their rowdy fans in there."

After a minute, Sarah passed the binoculars Jake's way. He wasted no time zooming in on the limousine.

"What do you think goes on inside the central facility?" she said.

"Not sure, but did you check out the guards?"

He scanned an area further south next to the high chain-link fence, targeting a member of the facility's security team. The man stood watch over the far end of the property with an assault rifle cradled in his arms, a strap over his neck. "Some men are heavily armed. They remind me of the assassins from The Bahamas."

He passed the binoculars back to Sarah. She took her turn, refocusing by rolling the dial with her forefinger.

"There's a tanker truck with Ocean Blue's logo splashed across the side," she said. "It's passing through the gate."

"I noticed it too, as it pulled up to the entrance."

Sarah panned up. "Zanderthal's about to exit the limo. His chauffeur is walking around to get his door."

As she continued to track the activity below, a strategy formed in Jake's head. "Maybe you should hang tight while I get a closer look at the facility."

"You mean trespass on private property?" She let the binoculars drop.

"Call it whatever you want."

"I'm not sitting here while you get yourself killed."

"You're not trained for anything like this, Sarah."

"And you are?"

"I used to spy on the Taliban."

"From an aircraft carrier."

"When Tony and I snuck aboard that Japanese whaler—" I'm losing this battle too. "Point is, I know what to look for, and what to expect."

Sarah wagged her head, tight-lipped and unyielding.

He huffed. "Okay, have it your way. Just know things could get dicey."

"I'm aware of that, but if you don't remember, these people tried to kill me off Paradise Island. So I know what I'm getting into."

"I remember saving your life."

"And I saved yours too."

Jake bit his lip, staring at her with the admiration he'd give any man. "You got me there. Guess we're going in together."

She handed over the field-glasses.

He took one last survey of the grounds below. It was then he noticed the steady buildup of traffic waiting to enter the main gate. Zanderthal was making more than a house call on his remote compound. A deluge of high dollar vehicles were being admitted. Something big was in the early stages of unfolding. Occasionally, another tanker truck fell in line for entry. Jake focused the binoculars on the rear of the semi trucks. A ladder hung down and curved over the top.

"I have an idea, Sarah. A risky one, but I think it'll work."