CHAPTER 17

ORLANDO, FLORIDA

As Sea Lab International's executive director, William Hardy stood in awe when he remembered the world looked to his organization to protect the delicate balance of the ocean's ecosystems. Sea Lab was a worldwide leader in marine research and ocean preservation. They saved marine life, which was a noble cause if there ever was one. That's why he couldn't fathom why anyone would try to kill a member of one of his research teams.

After Hardy got off the phone with Cat last night, and another call to Sarah, it shocked him to hear what happened to Kevin and Rachel. Their special operations director, Catherine O'Donnell, filled him in after she finally got in touch with the pair in Tahiti.

As soon as he sat down at his desk in his office, the FaceTime window popped up on his Mac computer. One click later and he was staring at Sarah's exhausted, stress-filled eyes. Her ruffled locks spiraled past her shoulders, bare because of a teal tank top.

"How are you holding up?" Hardy winced after the words came out.

"Not so good. I talked to Cat this morning. I know what happened in Tahiti."

He frowned, still perplexed by the attack, and could tell by Sarah's empty gaze and even keeled voice that she was having a difficult time coming to terms with Ben Porter's death. "So, who was this guy that saved your neck, and his friend? What's their names?"

"I think you know who he is. And I don't appreciate you sending them to spy on me."

Hardy looked around the spacious office, feigning cluelessness, and then back at the screen. "Jake and Tony weren't spying on you. They were watching out for you. They were available, and I knew Jake still cared about you, enough to make sure nothing happened to you."

"How could you? You know what he did to me."

"Have you ever stopped to listen to his side of the story? He says he didn't sleep with her."

"That's a load of―"

"Watch your language, young lady."

Sarah squinted at him. "If that were true, why did he take her home with him?"

He had no answer for that. Not a good one, anyway. He combed a hand through his sandy hair and let his eyes drift around the room. His office had a vaulted glass ceiling, occupying a quarter of the top floor of the headquarters building. The outer walls were nothing more than windows. A pair of interior walls divided the room, a large picture of the organization's ribbon cutting ceremony on one, and a bookcase taking up the other.

Hardy wanted to remain unbiased, but something gave him fits and he felt it in the tense crow's feet splintering out from the corners of his eyes. He had to speak his mind. "I want you on the next plane to the states as soon as possible."

"Dad?"

"Don't argue with me. I lost your mom and I'm not about to lose you, too."

"That was years ago... an accident. Besides, I'm not a little girl anymore. I can take care of myself."

"Porter was an adult too, but he's dead. I want you back in Orlando."

Through the computer screen, Sarah's face revealed a deep frustration, but also a sense of compassion for Hardy as her father. "Jake and Tony can look out for me."

"Now, you want their help." He couldn't believe his ears. "You're killing me."

Sarah sighed loud enough for him to hear. "They saved my life."

"Jake did."

She rolled her eyes.

Hardy shook his head, not ready to concede, but willing to listen. "Go ahead. What's your plan?"

"Jake found a strange wreck during a dive. He said it was a cage trap for dolphins or sharks, or something. Anyway, we agreed to check it out later tonight. Maybe it was the reason the assassins targeted us. It was that or our research, or both, seeing they stole Ben's laptop with our dive data on it."

"A night dive? I don't like it. And why do I keep seeing images of you guys sneaking around, being chased by men with guns that aim to kill? What makes you think they won't try to stop you again?"

"Nothing. But we need to look into it. Something horrible is causing the fish around Paradise Island to disappear. And it's our job, our duty to find out what's going on. That's what Sea Lab is all about, isn't it?"

She had a point. Even though she wasn't his flesh and blood, she was still a woman after his own heart. Her birth father, an alcoholic and gambling addict, drank himself to death when Sarah was little. His drunken rants and abuse drove her mother to the edge of insanity and gave Sarah nightmares. After her mother passed away in a scuba diving accident, he adopted her as his own.

"Well?" Sarah said.

"Okay, but if there's any more gunfire, I want you on the first plane home. Got it?"

"Loud and clear." She forced a smiled.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'll be fine."

"I love you," he said. "Let me know if you find anything worth reporting."

"I think I hear the guys waking up. I've got to go."

Sarah ended the transmission, leaving him staring at a black screen.