CHAPTER 26

NORTHEASTERN COAST OF AUSTRALIA

Their plane landed in the city of Brisbane two nights after the explosion. A pair of taxis drove the five Sea Lab scientists—Jake, Tony, Sarah, Kevin and Rachel—to the seaport where they stepped aboard the newest addition to their fleet. The Atlantis research vessel. The ship shoved off from the pier within an hour for a slow sail to the site of their next dive. With plenty of sleep, Jake rose in the morning, ate breakfast in the galley with the newly assembled team, and then made his way topside for a glimpse of the brilliant sunlight beaming down from a cloudless sky.

Jake leaned over the port side rail, a salty breeze whipping in his face as the research vessel dashed through the pristine water of the Coral Sea like a stallion in the Arabian Desert. The ship's keel acted as the muscular shoulders and hindquarters while the propeller bored through the depths like hooves digging into sand. With each graceful gallop, she drew closer to the prize.

The Great Barrier Reef.

With a cup of coffee in hand, Jake watched the waves lick the side of the ship as they marched onward. A white band crowned the blue hull of the famous research vessel. Within that band, her name was printed near the bow, and on the stern, the words 'Sea Lab International' stretched beneath an A-frame crane. At two hundred and seventy-four feet long and over fifty feet at her widest point, the floating laboratory nearly spanned a football field—a precision combination of steel and modern technology with a host of satellite dishes and antenna topping the bridge superstructure.

Jake sipped his coffee, steam flowing from the Styrofoam cup, bringing with it the fresh aroma of the Columbian brew. He soaked in the natural environment and smiled on the inside. A new day, a new mission and new scenery.

This was his first expedition aboard the Atlantis. The ship, in its first year of service to Sea Lab, spent most of its time in the Pacific Ocean. Director Hardy purchased the vessel from the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. A good transaction, as far as Jake was concerned.

From the port side of the ship, he had a clear view of the Australian coast. The splinter of land, appearing flat from several miles away, slid by on a parallel course.

Maybe later there would be time for a ship tour. The high-tech labs and hot-zones made up the heart and soul of the research vessel, along with the scientists who were already busy at work in the early morning hours. While he'd traveled all over the world, deep down, he felt honored to be included in this large-scale operation off the barrier reef. It was the first time Hardy had assembled a team this big, meaning this was the most important mission to date.

And so far on this leg of the journey, he didn't feel the need to look behind his back for a brood of assassins.

The night at Sarah's house, the explosion had rocked the three of them. Emergency crews arrived within twenty minutes, and somehow they all passed the concussion tests given by paramedics. They told their stories to police as firemen doused the flames. They opened an investigation, but last Jake heard, they had no leads, not even another sighting of the Mercedes that the mystery man used to flee the scene. But according to Kevin and Rachel, the description given by Jake and Tony matched the Japanese sailor who left them for dead.

Amid his thoughts, a hand slapped Jake on the shoulder.

He flinched, craning his neck around.

"Feels good to be back at it again." Tony's cheeks lit up, his hand clutching a shiny red apple.

"Very much so." Jake gulped from his cup and let the black liquid burn its way down his throat.

Tony crunched into the apple, talking as he chewed. "Here they come."

Jake turned to see Sarah, Kevin, and Rachel. It was nice to know the ladies had attempted to smooth their differences on the flight to Brisbane and the taxi ride to the seaport, so they could all at least try to work together.

Before long, the up and down flow of the ship eased, prompting everyone to walk up to a higher deck for a better view of the surrounding sea. The water offshore was deep blue and clear, with coral stretching as far as the eye could see.

"Think you could get used to this?" Sarah said.

Tony took another bite of the apple, his voice full of wonder. "Who couldn't?"

Jake checked his watch. "Let's get below. It's time to suit up. We dive at 0900 hours."