CHAPTER 63

Moments ago, what sounded like an explosion rattled the chandeliers and wall sconces in the dining hall, lighting up the night sky outside the ship's starboard side near the stern. The brightness lasted for a few seconds before growing dark again. Zanderthal noted the disturbance but acted as if nothing happened, his expression a mask of calmness. Five minutes later, Ishikawa entered the room, whispered in Zanderthal's ear, and then left. Sarah couldn't help but wonder what had happened. Had someone fired on the icebreaker? Maybe a rescue attempt was underway? But then everything went quiet, as did the flicker of hope. More likely, they had snuffed out a raid.

Despite the overwhelming urge to run, she remained in her seat and maintained a level of composure that she found ridiculous. She made herself hold it together. Zanderthal would meet any outburst of anger or attempt to flee with swift repercussions. Besides, where would she go? She gazed out the windows overlooking the stern. The only thing she saw was the distant light of another vessel in the same shipping lane.

Hope flashed like lightning. Could it be the Atlantis?

But as lightning vanishes, leaving darkness, her mind driven by years of education picked apart the idea. It was a harsh reality. Scientific reasoning was supposed to be grounded in fact. Evidence shaped theory and thus the truth. Or at least the truth gleaned from data, however limited.

That didn't account for faith.

Faith hoped for the best despite what someone saw or felt, or reasoned with their mind. But that was all she had, and because of that slippery thread, another idea arose. She imagined a lifeboat somewhere on the icebreaker. The ship had to have several, probably mounted on either side past the bridge or near the stern. She was a marine biologist. Although not a sailor, her confidence grew. She could figure out how to lower a lifeboat and navigate it back to land.

While deep in thought, calculating, plotting her escape, she observed Zanderthal and Caroline James. She had to hide her plan from their prying eyes.

Certainly, she knew with any full course meal, dessert was next. Delicate and quaint, Sarah dabbed the corners of her lips with a cloth napkin and aimed a dimple straight for the chairman of Ocean Blue.

"The lobster was delicious."

"I'm glad you thought so," he said, checking his watch. "What is yet to come should be delightful as well."

On cue, the male servant appeared with another tray carrying three cream cheese pies dribbled with chocolate syrup, halved strawberries on top. Once again, the billionaire spared no expense for himself or his guests.

Sarah took a bite and chewed with her mouth closed, the rich flavor reminding her of her favorite dessert at the Cheesecake Factory in Orlando. After swallowing, she fixed her eyes on Zanderthal.

"As elegant as my stay aboard your ship has been, I still can't help but wonder why?"

"Why what?"

"Why you've kept me alive. Whatever it is, I can't imagine anything good coming from it." She waited for a reaction, then said, "You don't expect me to marry you, do you? Do you think you can have me as your bride? I mean, this white dress and all..."

Sarah glanced at Caroline, who appeared miffed at the line of questioning. The woman shifted her gaze to Zanderthal and waited for an answer.