[09]

---

---

My gaze never left Bella as she walked away and into the woods. Edward followed close behind, probably already knowing exactly what she had found out. Worry consumed me. Soon the Cullen's looked towards me, guessing that I too knew. My eyes widened before I quickly turned away, walking into the school and towards my class. Unfortunately, my first class was History with Jasper. I took my seat, taking out the half-finished project we were working on. I took a deep breath, knowing that if he was going to hurt me in any way he would have already done so. He had enough opportunities. The scraping of the chair next to me against the floor brought me back to reality. Jasper. Looking up, I sent him a smile and muttered a 'hi'. He sat. Soon the lesson started.

"So I was thinking, instead of talking about Malcolm X first, we should talk about Martin Luther King first and then compare the peaceful movement to like Malcolm X's idea of self-defence and then the Black Panthers and go from there," I spoke, glancing over at him every once and a while as I gestured to the different pages of research.

"I don't mind, you're the one who knows the most," he replied, smiling at me.

"I think that may be the first time you've smiled at me," I joked, my own smile widening. For a moment I forgot about what Bella told me yesterday. "You should do it more often." I turned back to the notes. "Everyone looks better with a smile." I shrugged. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket, I slipped it out, glancing to the teacher to make sure she wasn't looking before I checked it. It was Bella texting that she was okay. I sighed in relief.

"What's the matter?" Jasper questioned as I quickly locked my phone.

"My friend just text me about her little brother, she thought he'd broken his arm but it was just a sprain," I lied. When he nodded, I knew he believed me.

Soon the lesson had ended and I noticed Jasper's change in behaviour, it was like he wanted to say something but couldn't. Five guesses what.

"Skylar?" I turned towards him. I hummed in response. "Never mind." I nodded.

---

When I was arriving home late (because of the extra study I was doing) I noticed Jasper standing outside, half-hidden out of sight from people in the house, probably so that Charlie didn't see him. When he noticed I was there, staring at him he began to move towards me. I then followed suit, moving towards him. We were hidden from where Charlie would be able to see.

I raised an eyebrow at him, folding my arms. "Why are you here?"

"I think you know," he replied, stepping forward.

"Yeah, but what I think it is might be wrong." I paused, glancing down at the floor. "So explain what you think I think I know."

"You know what my family are," he continued, stepping closer to me.