[32]

---

---

A few days before the battle we went hunting. I still wasn't exactly used to it so Jasper helped me, again. With the newborns living on human blood, we needed to be as strong as possible. That day and night went quickly and soon we were in the clearing waiting for the battle to begin. The wolves were hidden as to surprise the army. Jasper was grasping my hand in his. Bella was already where she was meant to be with Edward and Jacob as they spent the night before up there and Seth was with them. I was just glad he was safe.

"We'll be fine," he whispered, even though everyone else could hear us anyway. "I promise."

"Don't." I took a deep breath. "Don't promise anything, please."

Soon the army had reached us and we ran to meet them. It was only a minute in when the wolved joined us. I grabbed the neck of a newborn, pulling at it, removing their head. It seemed as though a few of them thought I was an easy target as more than one ran towards me. I sighed, ducking out of the way of one as they lunged towards me. Before I could dodge the next, Jasper was next to me, helping me take them down. 

"I had it under control," I told him, grabbing the one nearest me by the neck. "Stop moving," I spoke. They did as I said before I removed their head. 

I watched as one of the vampires got their hands around Leah. I rushed over, tackling them off of her. She managed to get above me, her hands grasping my neck. I felt her begin to tug. 

"Get off of me," I ordered. 

Paul then leapt onto them, ripping their head off. 

"Thanks," I muttered, going back to the fight. 

The fight was getting easier as the number of newborns quickly diminished due to their lack of experience. 

Once the fight was finished I let out a sigh of relief, leaning against Jasper before we began to burn the bodies.

Alice had had a vision about the Volturi coming to the battle sight. 

"How long?" Edward asked, dragging Bella along with him as he reached us. 

"A few minutes. Maybe ten," Alice answered. 

"The pack needs to leave. The Volturi won't honor a truce with the werewolves," Carlisle told. 

It was then that another vampire appeared and began to attack Leah. She fought back but the vampire had his hands around her neck.

"Leah," I yelled, about to move forward as Jacob lunged at the vampire. Jasper held me back. The vampire managed to get his arms around Jacob and I heard a sickening snap. Sam was the one to kill him. I watched on helplessly as Jacob shifted back to human, his face contorting in pain. 

"I could have helped," I hissed at Jasper, moving to Jake. 

The wolves came through the tree line in human form. Leah rushed over.