[20]

---

---

I stood in front of Leah. She sat on my bed, her eyes following me as I began to pace. I needed to tell her something and my anxiety had skyrocketed at the thought. Taking a deep breath I stood in front of her again. 

"I want to find my parents," I revealed. 

"What?" She asked, her voice quiet. "But they abandoned you," she reasoned. 

"I know but I want to know them, put name and face to my biological parents and find out why they left me," I explained. "I want to know why. There's always been this part of me that wants to know them and know why I wasn't good enough."

"And you want my help?" 

"Well yeah, you're one of my best friends and one of the people that understands what it's like to be pushed to the side and forgotten," I told. She glanced down, knowing I was right. "That wasn't meant to be so harsh," I whispered.

"No, you're right." She paused, looking back up at me. "I'll help."

"Great." I clapped my hands together, picking up a file off of my desk. "My fostering file, or papers, anyway, it has my biological parents names and I asked Charlie last night to find them."

I passed her the file.

"At first he got scared, thinking I didn't want to stay with him anymore but after some reasoning and convincing he agreed to use the police resources to find their address so I can write them a letter or find them," I finished. 

"So why do you need me?" She asked as I sat next to her.

"Emotional support?" I looked over at her. "I mean, I haven't seen them since I was about five and I barely remember them. What am I meant to say? Hey, you abandoned me and I want to know why?"

"Hey, it's okay, I'll help you, whatever you decide," she comforted. 

"You're the best, Leah," I told her, smiling up at her. 

"Only with you for some reason," she admitted. "I feel so angry most of the time, but not around you."

"I have that effect," I joked. 

"And you manage to get people to do what you want without too much convincing," she continued. 

"People just seem to want to do what I say," I quipped. 

---

Two weeks had passed and Charlie had finally found an address for Anthony and Lydia Thompson, my parents. I was sitting at my desk, staring at the address. 

"Hey, I came as quickly as I could," Leah spoke as she entered my bedroom. 

"They live in Utah," I mumbled.