Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"Forget the Ministry. We're taking this lot straight to the Manor," the man in front of Harry said slowly. The look in his eyes gave away his glee.

They all arrived at Malfoy Manor and were forcefully dragged into what appeared to be the ballroom. As they entered the impressive hall, Harry could see Bellatrix Lestrange standing in front of the fireplace. She opened her mouth in visible awe and whispered loudly,

"Go and fetch Draco," as she said this, a smile spread across her face and there was a gleam in her eyes.

As Draco Malfoy appeared at the bottom of the stairs, Bellatrix grabbed Harry's hair and held his face forwards.

"Well? Is it him?" Bellatrix spoke hastily. Her eyes were fixed on Draco, unable to wait for an answer much longer.

Malfoy took one look at Harry and recognised him immediately. The messy dark hair, despite being gripped in his aunt's fist, was quite obviously his. He could barely see his eyes, and he wasn't wearing his glasses; nonetheless it was unmistakably Harry. He moved about half a step closer before saying nervously,

"I-I can't be sure," his voice was shaky.

Lucius pushed him forwards and said behind him,

"Draco, just think if we are the ones to hand Potter over to the Dark Lord, all will be forgiven. Everything will be as it was." His tone was desperate, and he was silently pleading Draco to help the family.

Draco kneeled down in front of Harry and looked at his face for a few seconds, relishing every moment. He had an apologetic look in his eyes and his lip was quivering. As Bellatrix looked at Potter, Draco mouthed a shaky "sorry". As he spoke, Harry noticed a tear sliding down his cheek.

Harry thought to himself, 'this is it; I'm going to die. He's going to give me over to Voldemort.'

"No. It's not him," Malfoy announced clearly as he pulled himself back up. He turned to move towards the stairs but his father caught him. Harry was surprised. He was unable to show it both because his features were distorted but also because it would give him away.

"Are you sure?" his aunt cried. She was furious. She was about to shout again when she noticed something glistening in one of the Snatchers' hands.

"Where did you get that?" she screeched at the man.

"It was with 'em when we found 'em. Reckon it's mine now," he grinned maliciously.

She screamed at him, Hermione and Griphook, questioning the reason behind them having the Sword of Gryffindor. After sending Ron and Harry to the dungeons, she walked right up to Hermione, so she was mere centimetres away and spat, "I want to have a little conversation with this one. Girl to girl!"

******

As the boys emerged from the dungeons with Dobby, they saw Hermione writhing in pain on the floor, barely noticing the word that had been carved onto her skin. Ron could only assume that this was the work of Bellatrix's knife. They scrambled to get out of the Manor and latched onto Dobby. Harry was still on the other side of the room, dodging multiple hexes and curses being shot at him. He landed face to face with Malfoy, who, with a frightened expression etched onto his features, shoved his wand into Harry's palm and whispered, "Good luck". Harry was shocked at this sudden act of kindness but didn't have time to dwell on it and jumped towards the group of teenagers gripping Ron's hand tightly before disapparating out of the room.

Draco's POV

I had barely had time to register the multitude of events taking place right in front of me before they all came to an end. There was a blur as the Golden Trio disappeared from the room and I saw Bellatrix's knife fly into the mix. I started to wonder if it had hit one of them, and feared who it might be. No sooner had I gotten to my feet than my father had grabbed my collar and pulled me towards him.