Chapter 10

Chapter 10

It had been just over a week since I had seen Harry and Malfoy sitting under the oak tree. He hadn't mentioned anything about it so I didn't dare push him for information. Ron had mentioned that Harry had admitted to becoming friendly with him, and he himself had talked about it at breakfast. I told him it was definitely a good thing, and that it was a smart move for both of them to put the past behind them.

One Wednesday morning, I was on my way to Potions class, trying to get there early, as per usual, and to my surprise I saw the two of them approaching the classroom. I wasn't too surprised, as the Gryffindors and Sltyherins were about to have this particular class together, but it seemed odd to me nonetheless. They had been smiling at each other, engrossed in some kind of discussion, walking very close to one another, and as soon as they had spotted me, they immediately stopped smiling and Harry cleared his throat rather purposefully. I furrowed my brows at him and he simply shrugged. He smiled sort of apologetically at Malfoy and walked over next to me.

We chatted about the upcoming lesson and the Hogsmeade visit in two weeks time. I had no clue what to get Ron for Valentine's Day. There wouldn't be another outing until after February, so every couple was racking their brains, trying to think of something special for their significant other. It was going to be our first real Valentine's Day together, so I wanted to make it special. I had sent a letter to Molly asking what his favourite treats' recipe was, in the hopes that I could recreate it. She had given it to me, but I feared it wouldn't be enough. I wanted to really prepare something extraordinary for him, to really show him just how much I loved him. Harry told me he didn't know what Ron was preparing for me, which I could tell was a lie, but I didn't want to press him for answers. Just then Professor Slughorn arrived, and we walked into the classroom.

For the first time ever, I was distracted during a lesson. I was desperately trying to find the perfect gift to get Ron. I would bake the sweets the day before Valentine's, so they would be as fresh as possible. But then I would have to add something else...

Draco's POV

I could tell that Harry's friends were onto us. At the very least, they had noticed something was different about him. It was so much more difficult to be around him now that classes had begun again. Everybody was constantly around Harry, I barely saw him on his own. Occasionally, we would walk to class together but that was quite risky. Although most people simply thought we were finally being friendly, it definitely sparked conversation throughout the castle. At breakfast, we stole glances, earning us both comments from our surrounding classmates. It was only really at night that we could really be alone together.

Of course I was aware of the upcoming Hogsmeade visit, and the pressure on couples for Valentine's Day gifts, but that was a delicate subject. We hadn't yet discussed it, but given that we didn't refer to ourselves as a couple, thankfully, I wasn't sure what to do. I was nowhere near ready to become something serious with him; for now all I knew was that I enjoyed his company and I felt something strong whenever we touched. So I was hoping it would come up the next time we saw each other, so that we could be on the same page.

During a free period, I was once again in the library, continuing my search for removing my infernal tattoo, when a dark figure rushed past my desk, dropping a piece of parchment on it. I began to call out to them, to give it back, but I quickly saw my name written on it. I unfolded the small piece of paper and read "ROR 11 PM. –H". 'Oh no,' I thought to myself, he probably wanted to discuss the Hogsmeade outing. I tried not to dwell on it, reminding myself there were plenty of reasons for us to meet; it could simply be because he wanted to see me. I returned to my reading and after another twenty minutes, walked to my next class.