Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Over the course of the next few weeks, the trio didn't notice any more abnormal behaviour from Draco Malfoy, besides the fact that he would only ever show up to dinner. Nobody knew where he was spending the rest of his time. Harry only guessed it could be the library.

In reality, Draco had been reading up about any possible information he could gather from the few books the library offered on healing and removing marks from skin. He was looking for any possible solution to get rid of the vivid black reminder on his left forearm. He had managed to find a secluded corner of the library to carry out these experiments. Nothing worked. He had tried countless spells, all in vain. He had brewed about a dozen different potions, but the mark persisted.

The only thing that seemed to make a difference was a number of powerful glamour spells, but they would only make the Dark Mark a sort of pink-red colour, like it had badly scarred. Even then, it obviously protruded from his skin and only worked for about three hours at a time.

The library didn't offer enough information about removing the Dark Mark, as nobody had ever tried to do it before. It wasn't just a tattoo; it was like a living thing on your body. However, since the death of Lord Voldemort, it had been unable to become active at all, which Draco supposed was the 'silver lining' of his situation.

Draco refused to even think about sending a letter to his father asking for help. They had already basically disowned him and he didn't want to push his luck. So he continued to search for a remedy to erase the constant reminder of his previous dark biddings.

It was only last year when he realised just how terrible the things the Dark Lord did were. He had always been raised to idolise this man, that what he was doing was all in the hopes of 'cleansing' the Wizarding World. He never fully understood the consequences behind this objective; the countless innocent lives taken, the pain, the suffering. He had then realised that he didn't want to be part of a world that indulged in such activities. It was a shameful life to lead and he wasn't ready for it. He no longer wished to be associated with those atrocities.

One day, while attempting a new Erasure Charm, Draco noticed how thin his arm looked, and looked down at his very empty stomach, and thought it might be time to return to eating more often so as not to vanish entirely.

He started going to meals more regularly, still skipping a breakfast here and there, favouring some extra sleep. However there was one odd thing happening. Just about every meal he attended, he could feel a certain dark-haired Gryffindor's eyes on him. He would sometimes look over and catch him staring, before quickly looking back down at his plate, slightly red-faced. Malfoy would just smile smugly to himself, thinking about how much of an effect he clearly had on someone he thought hated him with a passion. Although, he did join him in his compartment when he was lonely, and it wasn't to antagonise him, strangely enough, despite being dragged away by that infernal ginger parasite. So maybe Potter didn't completely despise him.

******

October rolled around surprisingly quickly and the hallways were beginning to become decorated for the upcoming Halloween celebration. This year, McGonagall had suggested that the Eighth Years have some sort of "inter-house-get-together" to bring all the students closer. It was basically an excuse to get drunk and to stop thinking about the war and acting so miserable.

On October 15, there was a Hogsmeade visit scheduled. Ron had pulled Harry aside and asked if he could take Hermione alone so they could spend some 'quality time' together, just the two of them. Harry obliged of course, he knew how much Ron cared about his girlfriend and wanted to impress her.