Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Draco requested that Ditty bring all of his luggage down to the main living room. It was the first day of term. He had gotten up earlier than usual to make himself presentable. He had spent a good hour placing glamour charms on his still red scar on his stomach. He had spent many weeks trying to heal the wound, but it persisted. The scar on his cheek had faded a bit more, but wouldn't be completely erased by his spells. He then put on his best outfit and school shoes. Despite the post-war context, he couldn't have anyone thinking that the events had affected him in any away. He needed to keep his reputation as a Malfoy intact. He jumped into his muggle car, a sleek black Mercedes complete with green leather upholstery, and headed towards Kings Cross Station.

Harry, Hermione, and the Weasleys all arrived at the train station with just ten minutes to spare. Punctuality was not their strong suit. Because of this, Hermione complained nonstop. They rushed towards platforms 9 and 10 and all sprinted through the barrier onto Platform 9 ¾. There, Harry glimpsed Draco climbing onto the train very gracefully. Malfoy didn't turn to look at Harry; he simply made his way onto the carriage and moved down the corridor into a compartment rather far down.

Harry quickly hugged Molly and joined Ron, Hermione and Ginny onto the train just in time. Seconds after he hopped into the doorway, the train pulled out of the station. As the Hogwarts Express made its way towards the school, the students quickly piled into spare compartments if they could. They found one where Luna was sitting alone, looking dreamily out of the window and joined her. Ron and Hermione had already seated themselves onto the bench to their right and had cuddled up to each other immediately. Harry and Ginny sat on the bench opposite them, Ginny found herself between Harry and Luna. They were quite closely pressed to one another, so Harry decided to wander down the corridor of the train, hoping to come across some of his other friends. Ginny hadn't really noticed, as she was soon deep in conversation with Luna about some magical creature or something.

Harry glanced into each carriage to see who was there, and briefly stopped to talk to a few First Years who were frantically asking questions about the Battle of Hogwarts. He eventually made his way very near the end of the train, where most Slytherins usually sat. He thought it was kind of pointless to go this far, but he knew that at least nobody would try to talk to him back here. He turned his head to look into the before-last carriage and thinking it was empty, pulled back one of the doors. No sooner had he taken a step in, than he noticed a white-blond head turn to face him.

"Get out of he..." he started, "What are you doing here, Potter? Can't you see that this is my compartment?" Malfoy asked pointedly.

"I'm sorry I... didn't see... I thou..." he couldn't form a full sentence and fumbled back out of the small space. As he shut the door, he noticed Malfoy turn to look out of the window, almost longingly. He looked awfully lonely. It was a long ride to Hogwarts and he wasn't exactly filled with joy at the thought of returning to being pressed up against either Ginny or his two best friends fondling each other for the next few hours. He decided to go against his instincts and to be spontaneous. He opened the door again, this time more quietly, so the boy's head didn't turn. It was only when he took a seat opposite the Slytherin that he spoke up again.

"I thought I made myself clear," he sighed purposefully.

"I haven't got much else to do anyway. Why are you alone in this carriage, Malfoy? Where are your minions?"

Malfoy scoffed and removed his head from its resting place on his fist. "Since when do you care?"

"Since now. I think it's probably time we were civil. After all, you are on this train on your way back to the school you claimed to hate with a passion instead of with your family. So I'm guessing you're not exactly being celebrated by them at the moment." Harry answered.