Chapter 6

Chapter 6

I was surprised at myself mostly. I was surprised because I wasn't pulling away, nor did I want to. Never in my life did I expect to be kissing Draco Malfoy. Our lips moved together, never pulling apart. After a few moments, we both pulled away to breathe. I looked up at the boy just inches away from me, and noticed the rosy tint on his defined cheeks. It was spreading to the rest of his face, and I felt my own face heating up as well. We only looked at each other for the next minute or so, smiling awkwardly. Neither one of us really wanted to address the situation so we remained silent.

Eventually, Draco started to lean in towards me for the second time, but something in me made me pull back. I didn't really know what had urged me to stop him, but I did. He seemed hurt, but I think it was more a feeling of shame. He turned away, but I grabbed his wrist.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you, I just think I need to go back to my room," I looked down, trying my best to make my tone reassuring.

"Hurt? Don't be ridiculous, Potter," despite the phrase, he was smiling.

He accompanied me back to the portrait and we awkwardly hugged before I walked out. As I was slowly making my way down the cold, dark corridor, I suddenly remembered the gift I had coincidentally decided to get Draco. So I then hurried back to my room.

I had to rummage in my things a bit; I hadn't touched it since I left it on the side immediately after buying it. I grabbed it, careful not to drop it; Merlin that would be disastrous. I practically sprinted through the castle, stopping abruptly at the portrait in front of the Dungeons. Luckily I remembered the password, and hissed "Colubra". The painting swung open and I stepped inside.

I could've just waited until morning, but I needed to do this now. I debated whether to completely walk into his room and leave it next to his bed or whether to leave it on the mahogany coffee table. Thinking he could easily still be awake, I decided to just write a simple 'Draco' on a piece of parchment and left it for him to find. I didn't want to write my name, I'd feel silly if it went wrong. I walked back out, still catching my breath and strode back to my dorm, falling into a dreamless sleep.

******

Draco's POV

I woke up at a reasonable time, despite going to bed much later than usual. I had tried to go back to sleep for the past half an hour, but judging by how many times I had woken up in the night and how long it took me to fall asleep in the first place, I decided it would be better to just get on with the day.

I walked out into the common room, having gotten dressed, showered and washing my face and teeth. As I was about to exit the Dungeons, something caught my eye on my path. I turned around and saw a small parcel with my name written next to it. I assumed it was for me, whom else could it be for?

Therefore I picked it up and sat down on the adjacent armchair, unwrapping it slowly, curious to discover the contents. As I removed the paper from it, a small vial came into view. It was beautiful. The bottle itself was a plain sphere, but the liquid was a rich midnight-blue colour. It seemed to have a slight shimmer to it and it was releasing tiny bubbles that popped just above the surface. Tied to it was a label. The label read: "Blue Moon. Once every 'blue moon', this ingredient allows the user to hear thoughts inside another person's head." On the other side, there were more details about its usage. I wondered who had given me it. It wasn't just some old book; this was extraordinary. I needed to find the person who gave this vial to me.

I carefully put it in the drawer of my bedside table, just in case and headed down to breakfast. My head so overwhelmed with the thoughts of this potion that I had completely forgotten it would be my only gift this year. I practically skipped to the Great Hall to find a gorgeous breakfast lain out along the entire middle table. As it was Christmas Day, the school had gone all out.