Present 1

I've never dreaded the first day of school as much as today. The first day of freshman year, I was filled with blissful anticipation. Now? I'm tensely waiting for the conversation to switch from the typical chatter of students catching up with friends about their summer. The usual shitty gossip of 'Who didn't make it?' 'Did you see that picture of that sophomore?', 'She flunked senior year?' conversations. The dreadful switch to the only defining factor of my existence.

My weight.

As soon as the used to be two hundred and ninety pound fat girl walks through the doors skinny and pretty, all the whispers and stares will be directed to me.

And I was right. I became the topic of most conversations.

'Is that Maya Tanner?' 'She lost so much weight! 'She's actually pretty!'

I hated it.

I ignored the stares like I've always done, but it wasn't easy pretending it didn't get to me. Regardless if it was fat shaming or applause, it still hurts to know that my weight was the most interesting about me.

"Damn, are you new here?!" The sharp intake of breath almost hurt. Dealing with Trent this early in the morning would put a damper on my mood all day. He has made my life hell for these past few years and wouldn't hesitate to continue.

I turned around from my locker, a fake smile painted on my face. "Hi, Trent." Surprise flashed across his face as he took in my drastic change in appearance.

"Holy shit. You got hot." Trent gawked at me, scanning my body up and down as he undressed me with his eyes.

Disgust flooded me. "You're still a jackass." I retorted, my annoyance getting the best of me.

His approving look quickly switched to anger as he stepped closer to me. "Hey, just because you have a nice ass doesn't mean you can talk to me how you want. Remember who I am."

"Trust me I know," I muttered under my breath. It would be stupid of me to forget the type of person Trent is.

"What was that?" he demanded, stepping even closer, entering my personal space.

"Trent. Can you just relax?" I immediately recognized Rueben's voice and became filled with bitter-sweet emotions.

Trent stepped back, eyeing his friend, laughing. "Suddenly you care now that she's hot. She may have lost weight but she's still Maya Tanner," he turned his head and gave me a look of utter distaste, "the fat bitch."

I swallowed thickly, feeling overwhelmed by the tears that pooled behind my eyes. The first day of school and he's wasted no time with his derogatory comments. The buzzer going off was the perfect excuse to walk away before I humiliated myself. Hastily wiping away the few tears that escaped, I walked off.

You should be used to this by now, Maya.

When I entered the classroom, the students who were already inside stared at me wide eyed. The whispering started again. Sighing, I plopped myself in the empty seat to the front of the class. I cursed quietly to myself as I saw Trent enter the class, giving me an evil smirk as he sat in the chair behind me.

This year was already off to a great start.

*

The rest of the day passed by with a speed I was thankful for. I just want to go home, lay in bed, and read. I transferred all my books into my locker, smiling to myself because I had no homework.

The loud bang of someone hitting a locker door caught me by surprise, causing me to gasp. Colorful words danced through my mind when I saw Trent's glare from two lockers down.

"Hi, Fattie."

I didn't respond. Maybe he'll leave me alone. I've managed to avoid him since this morning, and my cloud of self-hate had began lifting. I had gotten my hopes up thinking I would leave school in a good mood.

"I know you fucking heard me, bitch," he practically growled. I turned around and came to face his face. He was standing way too close for comfort.

"What do you want?" I sassed, stepping back and hitting the locker. My eyes looked for an escape. I noticed his friends weren't with him, and the hallway was almost empty besides me, him and a couple other people who were too busy to see him harassing me. Not like they'd do anything, everyone was scared of Trent.

"You better watch that tone," he said, grabbing my wrist forcefully.

"Trent. Let me go." I tugged my arm in attempt to release myself from his harsh grip.

"Dude, can you take your harassment somewhere else, I need to get into my locker," the snide comment came from Kayla. She was one of the few people who could care less about Trent's bullying mindset.

He snickered. "The freak defending the fat girl. You gonna start a revolution now?"

Kayla looked unimpressed. "No, but I will kick you in the balls if you don't move."

He walked off, harshly bumping Kayla's shoulder. She didn't even flinch. I exhaled deeply as I rested my head on my locker, looking up at the celing.

"Thanks." I said to Kayla who shrugged in response.

"Just another day at Sun Valley High. See you around, Maya." She slammed her locker and trudged off.

The bike ride home was refreshing from a tense day. I greeted my mom with a hug. She was hunched over at the sewing machine, stopping momentarily to embrace me.

"Hey, love. How was school?"

"Okay."

She smiled. "Dad is going to be in late from work so I was thinking we could order pizza."

I mentally cringed at the thought of pizza. The amount of calories...

"Uh, sounds good," I said, trying to mask my disgust. "I'll be in my room."

I threw my bag on my bed as I walked through the door. Grabbing the book I was currently reading, I sprawled out on my cushions on the window sill bed. My mind slipped into the world of fiction. Nothing like a good adventure between pages to forget about your pathetic life.

"Maya, the pizza is here. Come down and get a couple slices."

I sighed, placing my handmade bookmark in the book to hold my spot. "Coming!"

Upon entering the kitchen, I smelled the aroma of melted cheese and tomato sauce that prompted my stomach to grumble loudly.

Mom laughed. "Well, aren't you a hungry gal! Grab as many slices as you'd like."

I opened the box and stared down at the pizza. My stomach grumbled again, exposing my hunger. I picked up a slice, and put it on the plate.

It's just one slice of pizza.

I took a bite. It tasted amazing, but I couldn't bring myself to enjoy it. I had to put a show on for my mom because I knew she would question me if I chose to skip a meal. She has been getting inquisitive about my eating habits. Although my family was aware and supportive of the intense diet I was on to lose weight, they don't know how unhealthy my mind has become as a result.

As soon as I finished, I quickly excused myself rushing to the bathroom in my room. Shoving middle finger down my throat to activate my gag reflex, I hunched over the toilet, feeling the sickening taste of vomit at the back of my throat as I hurled into it. My eyes watered from the stench of my throw up and I limply sat on the floor breathing heavily, tears rolling down my face.

You're still the fat bitch.

***
Hi! This is the first chapter of my story. If you've made it this far thanks for sticking around :) As stated in the description, this story is based on a poem by Blythe Baird of the same name.

Please vote!

Feedback is appreciated.

Thank you!