Present 5

With Jessica's Halloween party nearing, many whispers and chatter surrounding the event filled the hallway. I was still debating if I should go. I had gone to the first one she ever hosted (only because Erica had asked me along). The outcome was Erica ditching me to hang out with Trent and Rueben coming to my rescue.

Unbelievable.

I could almost spit when seeing Trent pull into my driveway on his motorcycle.

"Hey, baby!" Erica immediately put her phone away and ran to greet her boyfriend. They made out for intensely  while I just stood there awkwardly. I cleared my throat, causing them to pull away.

"How are all of us getting to the party? I thought Trent was giving us a ride?"

Trent looked as if he just realized I existed. "Oh..." he started, "I never realized Lil' Piggy was tagging along."

I gave him an sharp look at the horrible nick-name.

Erica slapped his arm. "Don't call her that!"

"What? She doesn't mind right, Lil' Piggy?"

My face remained un-amused and I shrugged. I already want this night to be over. I could pretend all I want that his minor bullying didn't get to me.... but that's exactly what I was doing. Pretending.

"Well, since there obviously isn't any room for me. I'll just stay here." I said, already relieved that I don't have to attend.

"No!" Erica cried out, "You have to come! How about your mom gives you a ride?"

I almost laughed at her suggestion. Not that my mom would object, but I don't wanna drag her into this, plus I'm assuming the party isn't that of which a 14 year old girl should attend anyway.

I sighed. "Sure."

Erica squealed, giving me a big hug before jumping on the back of Trent's bike. They sped off, Erica whooping loudly as the blonde haired boy revved his engine.  Pulling out my phone out, I sent a text to Rueben.

Are you going to the party?

I waited for a response which came a couple seconds later.

Yea, but I can only stay for like an hour. You still going?

I responded and explained my current predicament which was easily solved when he said his brother, who was attending the party, can come pick me up.

About ten minutes later, a silver Honda pulled up with a grinning Rueben in the passenger seat. He promptly hopped out and opened the back door for me. After I was situated, Rueben slid in next to me, closing the door behind him.

"Maya, Devin. Devin, Maya." Rueben quickly introduced his brother who gave a smile, nodding curtly.

Rueben leaned over and whispered in my ear, "I'm the charming one."

The loud unexpected laugh caught me off guard, snapping me out of my daze. We had a free session since our teacher was absent for first period. The substitute told us to read but as usual no one listened. Most people just chatted with each other.

I felt a tap on my shoulder from behind me. Luckily, Trent had become more interested in hooking up with a girl from the last row so he had switched seats with the person sitting behind me. I looked over my shoulder to see her holding a folded piece of paper. I took it from her and opened it up.

You look great in those jeans.

-M

My eyebrows furrowed as I turned to her.

"Who sent this?" I asked.

She just shrugged, looking bored.

Sighing, I turned around and shoved the note in my bag.

*
The cool breeze from the outside air was refreshing. The best part of being a senior was being able be outside during your study session. The steps on the side of the school provided me with the solitude I needed.

"This is my spot." I opened my eyes to see Kayla in all her goth glory lighting a cigarette.

"Thanks for letting me have it today then," I gave her a cheeky smile which she returned. Kayla was one of the few people who've talked to me over the years. We weren't friend's necessarily, but we have had an understanding.

She sat next to me, blowing rings of smoke.

"That's cool." I said, admiring the smoke rings. Her black lipstick and heavy eye make-up gave her the coolest look. I always admired her ability to be unapologetically herself.

She raised an eyebrow at me. "Wanna learn?"

A small part of me did, but that was something I'd never allow myself the pleasure to do. "No. But it's still cool."

"Your loss," she shrugged. "By the way, nice job the other day with Trent. About time you put him in his pathetic place." She gave me an approving smile which made me internally pat myself on the back.

I laughed. "Yes, well. It has been four years too long of him bullying me."

"Honestly. Can't wait to graduate and get outta this shit hole." She blew more smoke rings to humour me.

"Where do you wanna go?"

"New York or maybe San Francisco."

"Why there?"

"Freedom." she tilted her head to the side, a half smile on her face. It seemed she was thinking about her days to come in her dream life. "Where do you wanna go after graduation?"

I shrugged. "Haven't thought that far honestly."

"Still figuring it out, huh?"

I nodded. We sat in silence for a while, enjoying each other's company. I bid Kayla goodbye as the buzzer went off, and she returned the gesture with a salute before lighting up another cigarette, most likely ditching the next two sessions.

*
I stood at my locker, transferring my books, glad that I only had math homework for the evening. I felt a pair of warm, slightly rough hands cover my eyes.

"Guess who?" The person asked in a faux southern accent.

"Barack Obama?" I responded, my mouth fixed in a lazy smile.

"I wish," Rueben said, he turned me around. "Hi." He gave me a toothless grin, before leaning down to peck me on the lips.

"Hi."

Removing my bag from my shoulders and slipping it onto his, he slid his hand into mine and we began walking to the exit. The smile on my face probably looked ridiculous as we trotted down the hall.

After I unlocked my bike, Rueben put my book bag in the basket and gave me a kiss on my forehead before walking off. My eyebrows rose in surprise when I noticed him walking to the school bus instead of catching a ride with Trent. The glare that Trent gave me sent a shudder down my spine.

Man, if looks could kill.

******
Are flashbacks in chapter's out of season or?