Present 7

My body shook in laughter as Rueben sauntered into my living room with a long coat and cheap vampire fangs.

The party was next weekend. I already had my outfit planned out, but Rueben decided last minute to go as Dracula since it sort of corresponded with my costume. It was late Sunday afternoon when he came over to announce his costume idea. My mom was out at a friend's, but returned a little while after Rueben came over. She had always liked Rueben, and was almost as upset as I was when we broke up. You can imagine how surprised she was when she saw me and Rueben on the couch watching a movie together. I knew she'd have a ton of questions for me later.

Rueben was making a fool of himself by trying (and failing) to talk with an unrecognizable accent. Breathless laughs escaped my mouth as he strutted around the living room pointing at every object and saying the name in a horrible accent.

"Ze Vamp."

"Ze couch."

"Ze fan."

"Rueben, what even is that accent? " I asked, hugging a cushion between my legs and chest, resting my chin on it.

"Iz zee vampire azzent."

I snorted. "Sounds like off-brand French to me."

He feigned offence, "I vill bite you." He approached me, opening his mouth wide.

"No!" I hit him with the pillow and he backed away, continuing with his accent.

"I just wanted to let you know, you look and sound ridiculous." I teased.

He gasped. "I look stunning. The real Dracula could never."

I busted out laughing again.

He sat next to me on the couch and focused in on the movie that I was playing.  "Why don't you watch a real Halloween movie?"  He said removing his fake fangs that were covered in his spit.

I scrunched my nose in disgust as I stared at his saliva infested fangs. "Ew. That's gross. And FYI Hocus Pocus is totally a real Halloween movie."

Rueben gave me a look. "Don't act like we weren't swapping saliva half an hour ago. Also, Hocus Pocus is not a real horror movie."

I hit him with my pillow again and prayed my mom didn't hear that. I focused my attention back on the movie. Rueben had made popcorn and was currently shoving pop corn by the hand full into his mouth while I only ate a little bit. I really wanted to cuddle, but since my mom was in the other room and my dad was about to come home, I opted to entwining out fingers (the ones that didn't touch his saliva fangs).

*

"Good morning," Rueben greeted as I entered his car. He has been driving me to school for the past week or so. A way to prove he's serious about us being together.

"Morning." I smiled, buckling my seatbelt.

When we parked in the school parking lot, Rueben wasted no time in opening my door for me.

I rolled my eyes, but smiled at the gesture nonetheless.

We had stopped at Starbucks on the way here since it was on our route to school, so Rueben and I both sipped our drinks as we entered the building. We lounged at his locker until the bell rang,  Rueben quickly pecking me on my lips before we parted ways.

I sat at my usual spot for first period,  and was focused intently on what my teacher was explaining. I felt a light tap on my shoulder from the girl behind me and turned around to see what she wanted.

She held out a piece of paper saying it's a note for me. I took it from her and she went back to doing her work.

I opened it.

Your hair looks beautiful like that.
-M

My hand sub- consciously reached to touch my hair that was in a low bun. It wasn't anything extravagant. I looked around in hopes of maybe catching someone looking my way, but all I got was Trent's harsh glare.

I sighed and shoved the paper in my back pack.

*