Present 9

Trigger Warning: mentions of sexual assault in this chapter. It's towards the end of the chapter so you can skip if needed ♡

The strong thump of the bass music was felt all through my body as I entered the house that I have been in only once before. The place looked exactly the same, Halloween décor basically the same as well with only slight variations. People dressed as devils, vampires, zombies, movie characters and whatever else crowded the floor. Many were dancing like their life depended on it. I squeezed through the bodies on my way to an area where people weren't packed like sardines.

Even though I was in costume, I still felt exposed. Coming here without Rueben or someone at all might have been one of my dumbest ideas yet. Not that I had any friends to bring besides him.

I heard a familiar beat begin to play, and I realized it was a song from an artist I like. I moved along to the neat, taking comfort in a dark corner where not very many people were.

The vibration of my phone pronoted to stop swaying to check it. Rueben sent a simple text letting me know he'll be here soon.

I responded then went to go find something to drink. I was thirsty hoped having a drink in hand will give the illusion that I'm not extremely nervous.

I was leaning against the kitchen sink when Rueben entered the room. One look at him caused me to burst into laughter.

"I really didn't think you'd do it!" I exclaimed in between laughs.

He wore his black Dracula cape and fakes fangs with his hair parted to the side and slicked back with an impossible amount of gel. He must have used half the bottle to give have his curls stay smoothed back like that.

"Does ze lady want to dance?" He asked in the same accent he has been working on. He extended his hand to me and bowed slightly.

I took his hand, small laughs escaping my body. He led me to the dance floor and we danced to the music together. The bass was loud and the lyrics were very sensual. Not really my style, but I felt myself letting loose as Rueben held my waist.

We danced together for a couple songs until I felt myself getting thirsty again.

I motioned to Rueben that I was going to get water then headed to the kitchen.

I was filling a cup with more water, when I felt rough hands grab my arm, yanking me harshly. The motion caused some of my water to spill on my top.  I came to face a very tipsy Trent. He gave me a smirk as his eyes raked over my body in an uncomfortable way.

"Hi," he said, his voice low. His eyes rested on my chest as he spoke, and his hand still gripped my arm. I pulled away from him, hurrying to find safety. I saw Rueben sitting out back on a beach chair, chatting to his brother whom I haven't seen in a while.

"Hey," I greeted, a wide smile on my face masking my previous discomfort.

Rueben sent me a grin.

"Hey, Maya. Long time no see," Devin said, standing up to give me a hug which caught me a bit off-guard.

"Yea, how have you been?" I asked. Devin went away to college in my sophomore year, and I'm not sure if he knew that Rueben and I had broken up.

He shrugged. "I'm managing."

Some guys called him over and he gave me a small wave before walking off.

As soon as he was out of sight, Rueben pulled me onto his lap, causing me to gasp in surprise. I sat with my back facing him, and his arms encircled my waist.

"Hi." he said, resting his chin on my shoulder.

I let out a breathy 'hi' as I rested on him, feeling really warm. We sat in silence for a bit just staring at the pool water that glistened under all the lights.