Present 13

Graduation was nearing and I couldn't be more ready to leave the hell hole that is my high school. I sound so cliche  complaining about being an outcast, but being mostly introverted and attending a backwards institution with students who still live in 2005, you can't blame me for being ready to get out.

I pulled my jacket on as I got ready to leave the house, feeling jittery as I mumbled the words of a poem I would be reciting at Books and Brew for open mic on Friday. I wanted to invite my parents, but at the same time I felt a little exposed letting them into the history of my life these past years. I know they both knew I was dealing with some jerks who enjoyed tormenting me about my weight, but I never fully elaborated on the pain caused by them.

This poem was something personal and vulnerable to me, but I was ready to let go of the pain. I've been holding on to it for too long.

I rode down to Rueben's house since I wanted company. I've been in my house all day, and I needed some of his energy. The door opened a couple seconds after I rang it to reveal Devin who looked like he just woke up.

"Hey, Maya," he greeted me warmly with a smile. He opened the door wider for me to enter. "Rueben's in his room."

"Thanks, Dev."

I greeted Rueben's mom who was busy in the kitchen and she welcomed me with a hug, her beefy arms wrapped lovingly around me. She smelled like cinnamon and vanilla.

"Long time no see, Maya. How have you been?"

"Good. Life's been treating me well these days. How are you?"

She smiled. "Can't complain. Keeping the boys outta trouble, the usual," she grinned, cheekily. "Ah... I won't keep you any longer, plus I have to finish this bread. You can wait in the living room for Rueben."

"Okay, thank you." I made my way to the living room and sat on the couch. A couple minutes Rueben entered with a grin.

"Babe!" He grinned, launching onto me as he wrapped his arms around my waist tightly.

"Rueben," I coughed out. "Can't. Breathe."

"Sorry," he said, smiling as he pulled away.

He sat next to me on the couch and propped his legs on my lap, his hand resting behind his head as he leaned on the arm rest.

"You look pretty," he stated simply.

"I know." I responded.

He raised an eyebrow at me, smirking at my response. He moved from his position and stood up.

"Let's go for a walk."

"Where?"

"I don't know. Let's just see where the night takes us."

"It's broad day light Rueben."

He groaned dramatically. "Just go with it, buzz kill."

I looked at him appalled. "I am not a buzz kill."

He gave me a look before grabbing my hand and dragging me outside.

"Where are we going?" I asked as he walked past my bike.

"We're going wherever the day takes us."

I scoffed. "Okay." Rueben entwined his fingers with mine and swung our hands as we walked.

"Knock knock?"

I raised an eyebrow at him. "Really? Knock knock jokes?"

"Just go with it," he whined again. "Knock knock?"

I sighed in fake annoyance. "Who's there?"

"Your."

"Your who?"