iv. delicate but deadly

CHAPTER FOUR
( delicate but deadly )

❛ a damned hell ❜

ATHENA CRAWFORD SAT AT HER TABLE in the shittiest bar she'd ever been too, wondering how, exactly, her life had gone to hell so quickly.
She hated this bar. Hated the way the place reeked of sweat and filth. Hated the drunken, overweight, middle-aged men slobbering over the young bar tender. Hated the cramped tables and small booths she was forced to sit in, snarling at every stranger who dared look her way.

            She hated it here.

           But, what made it sickening to her stomach, what made her knuckles white and face burn, was the man currently leaning over the counter on her far right, smirking at the woman behind it as he haggled for the cheapest set of rooms upstairs. The girl opposite him, with dark hair similar to Athena's and face only a year or two older than twenty, tucked a loose strand behind her ear and handed him a set of keys. He smiled back at her, giving a wink of approval that sent red flaring to her cheeks. Athena took a swig of her drink and almost spat it out—and not just at the foul taste.

Jason Todd twisted, making his way back to her table. Athena snapped her eyes away, only to land them on a couple four tables down and watch as they spoon-fed each other soup from the bowl in front of them. Her face curled up in disgust.

"I never imagined you to be into porn," Jason said, and she heard the smirk before she saw it. His eyes were glowing as he rested them on the same couple, now with their hands tangled in each other's hair in a sloppy display of tongue and teeth. She tried not to cringe. How they even managed to finish a bowl of that wretched soup so quickly was beyond her. How they managed to eat it all and still want to suck each other's face, she'll never know.

"Porn is something you enjoy," Athena replied blandly, swallowing the erge to growl, "Does it look like I'm enjoying this to you?" When his mouth twisted into an impossible grin, she ground her teeth together in a futile attempt to silence the desire to slam her fist into his jaw. "What happened?"

Jason threw the keys onto the table and slid into the seat opposite her. "I'm getting laid tonight."

Her nostrils flared. "About the room, Jason."

Amusement twinkled in his eyes. "Room 17."

"Room 17?"

"Yes, room 17."

She almost fell out her chair. "You only got one room. What the fuck, Jason?"