xi. fluorescent in adolescence

CHAPTER ELEVEN
( fluorescent in adolescence )

❛ neon intoxication ❜

NEITHER ATHENA NOR JASON WERE aware that Red Square was renowned for its particularly unique Saturday nights. After all, with a name like Red Square, it sounded relatively normal. But when they arrived and saw the line of desperate partygoers that stretched around the building and down a slim alleyway, Athena immediately knew that this wasn't just any ordinary club. Especially considering the vast amount of neon colours embedded throughout the line in a number of different clothing. Girls wore tight dresses the shade of fluro green, yellow and orange, that, as far as Athena could tell, barely left anything to the imagination. Some wore black jeans with vivid specks of paint peppered along the legs, as if someone had cracked open a glow stick and splattered its contents over the fabric. Eye shadow glittered in the lights, reflecting colours like sunlight. The boys wore similar attire, most opting for the apparent option of shirtless with brightly coloured hand prints slapped onto their chest. Paired with either denim or black jeans, the tanned lean bodies of quite a few were the subject of Athena's casual glances at the line.

Jason and herself had given each other one quick nod before dividing in search for their own hint of fluro to add to themselves. Athena had found a bunch of girls a few metres down the road with small bottles of neon paint, huddled together as they sloppily applied the colour to their outfits. Like them, Athena had only dressed in black. A body-con dress, to be precise. One which clung to her waist and hugged her hips in a way that caused a few head turns as she had strutted by the line a few moments earlier. She distinctly remembered Jason's eyes raking her all over as they were preparing to leave, lingering a little too long at her cleavage before he scoffed and told her that he "really did like that outfit" in that tone he always uses on naive girls before seducing them back to his quarters. Athena was tempted to change her entire outfit at that point, but she only snickered an "oh, i know," before walking into the bathroom to paint her lips red. If he wanted to play, then play they will.

She found Jason 20 minutes later in line, flirting with some red haired girl. He was dressed like the other boys; shirtless with green and yellow paint lining his collar bones and it seemed that the girl in front of him really just couldn't keep her hands to herself apparently.

Athena wasn't jealous. Why would she be jealous of a woman touching the chest of the man she hates, flirting by dragging her fingers along and up his bicep? She was pretty, Athena thought, as all women are; too pretty for the likes of Jason. Jason was surely swooning right now and by the look he had plastered on his face, a sly smile hiding the pure smug arrogance she knew he held, he was living for the attention. The girl's skirt was white and barely covered her thighs and the bright green boob tube around her chest made it extremely hard for men to not be distracted by what, at this distance, seemed to be at least an E cup underneath. Jason, to his credit and her surprise, only dipped his eyes to look at the woman's chest only once or twice; somewhat respectable which was a far stretch from what Athena had come to know.