vi. prince in armour

CHAPTER SIX
( prince in armour )

❛ jonathan crane ❜

THE SHEER AMOUNT OF PEOPLE HUDDLED around the bar was enough to make Athena regret her decisions. Even as she was coming down the stairs, she could hear them; the buzzing of excitement, the cursing over a loss of poker, the undeniable smell of spilt alcohol. But as she stepped off the final stair, the wave of thick, sticky air hit her hard enough to knock the breath out of her.

The booths were filled with people; couples, friends, business partners, all clinking drinks and laughing. The wooden floor already wet with droplets of spilt ale and wine from the uncoordinated men at the bar. Some of said men, large enough to hurl a jug of beer hard enough to knock you out, were talking in amongst themselves, huddled together against the back wall, their words gibberish as the effects of the alcohol took its toll. There were more men drooling over the bartender, leaning across the counter in an unattractive angle as she made drink after drink for the males in front of her, bathing in the attention by the look on her face. Scanning down the bar table, her eyes skimmed past a man, elbows resting on the bench as he ordered another whiskey and coke. He was kind of cute, if she was being honest, and found it odd that no one seemed to be interacting with him. It seemed that everyone else was partnered with someone, whether it be a friend, potential hook up or a rival; everyone had someone. So this man stuck out like a sore thumb.

She felt Jason's shoulder touch hers as he finished his decent down the stairs. "No drinking," he whispered in her ear.

Considering he was the one that came up with the idea, Jason was surprisingly stern about that rule. No matter how much he drinks by himself, he refused to drink on a job; in fear that it would cloud his mind, make his judgement poor. But he was being stupid—it took a lot more than one or two drinks to make Athena lose focus.

She rolled her eyes and stepped forward. "We have to blend in. If we don't drink anything then how do you expect to—"

"No drinking."

She gave him a side glance and sighed deeply. "Fine," she mumbled. But as Jason's eyes passed over the scenes unraveling before him, assessing, analysing, weighing the possible outcomes, she grinned. "But, I'm getting them anyway and we can at least pretend to be having a good time."

Jason was awfully good at pretend.
            They'd wandered over to a group of four men standing around a table, beers in hand as Athena purposely stumbled into one, the youngest of the group, and muttered apology after apology as she steadied herself. The man, short brown hair and golden skin to match his eyes, only stared at her—until he began rambling an apology instead. Jason pulled up a few minutes later, another drink in his hand and laughed, taking a swing. Or so everyone thought. Given how often drinks were spilt, no one really noticed the constant puddle around Jason's mug, or the alcohol continuously sloshing over the sides at his clumsy, 'drunken' movements.