Chapter 5: their plan

That Monday I came in to Rick office. I saw somebody in a seat in front him. I stood still.

‘Marilyn, you may come further.’ I nodded and walked further. I looked at the one in the chair and nodded to him as silent hello. ‘Marilyn, this is Alex.’ I looked at him. ‘Alex, this is Marilyn.’

He stood up and wanted to shake hands with me. I looked confused at Rick. Rick looked up from his rapport and smiled at me, ‘He came here because of the rumours.’

I did like I understood it and said, ‘Ow.’ I shook hands with Alex. He was much taller than me and me. Stronger build then Rick and had black hair and deep blue eyes. His hand was firm while we shook. Rick looked at me, ‘You don’t understand it.’ I held my hand back and smiled awkwardly to him, ‘no.’

‘Then you don’t know the rumours like Jack told me.’

‘You are right I don’t know them.’

‘Do you believe me now?’ He looked at Alex. Alex smiled, ‘I can see it and remember was only for her and the rest. I need to leave, I see you tonight.’ Rick said, ‘I will remember it, see you tonight.’ He looked at him leaving.

What just happened? I wanted to know that so badly. ‘You are probably asking who he is.’ I nodded and Rick smiled and got further with his rapport. ‘He is my boyfriend.’ My eyes grew bigger. He looked up and chuckled, ‘you didn’t expect that, didn’t you?’ I shook my head fast in a no. ‘How?’

‘I don’t know. I just like him.’

‘Is your brother…?’ I covered my mouth with hands. Shoot Marilyn.

‘Aw,’ He smirked, ‘you really are interested in my brother, aren’t you?’ I slowly shook my head in no. ‘You are right. He isn’t, he is interested you.’

I quickly uncovered my mouth and looked shocked, ‘what did you just say?’

He chuckled, ‘you didn’t noticed it?’ I shook my head in no and said, ‘Hold on. Wait... Too much is happening right now.’ He chuckled and stood up. ‘Just take a seat Marilyn.’ I didn’t listen to him and stood there. He is interested in me? Rick pushed me slowly into the seat in front of his desk. I let him.

He took a seat behind his desk and waited until I looked at him. ‘Alex came here to see Laura mainly and you. He was curious about you.’ I looked at him like I stared at a blank page. ‘Don’t be so shocked!’ he laughed. ‘I am glad you never noticed it but Laura did.’ I smiled awkwardly, ‘to be honest I never expected it.’ He chuckled. I noticed he looked happy when he thinks about Alex.

I smiled and felt genuinely happy for him even thought he could be my date type in the first week. 

‘Marilyn?’ I heard a worried voice behind me. I turned around and saw Jack standing in the door opening. I smiled for a moment but then I remember the pain of six months searching for a job and living on the cost from my brother and Laura while feeling horrible to them. I couldn’t even take care of myself. I stopped smiling at him. I turned around to Rick, ‘I will leave.’ I stood up.

 ‘Take a seat please.’ Rick asked me with a soft but urgent voice. I waited for a moment to decide and took a seat. I heard that Jack took the seat next to me. I only looked at Rick. He started, ‘Marilyn, you need to know what the rumours are.’ I looked away from him through the window, ‘do I really need to know?’

‘Yes,’ Rick continued, ‘we could help each other.’ I looked curious at him. ‘Your rumour is about your work. Many people in this company think you don’t do your job right. We want to give you a chance to prove yourself to get a costumer interested in our company together with Jack.’ I immediately looked at Jack, ‘This is a trap you set up.’

Jack looked at me, ‘No, I want to work with you.’  I wanted to say never so badly right now but somehow I couldn’t say it. I looked at Rick, ‘How does that help you two? I think sir Dovorak can do this job perfectly on his own.’

Rick looked at his desk, ‘Many people in this company think we are both gay but my brother isn’t.’

I realised what he wanted to and I stood up in anger and yelled, ‘you want to make us,’ I pointed and looked at Jack, ‘a couple? Never!’ I walked away fast. I was by the door and tried to open it with all my strength. I sighed and looked in anger in Ricks face. I knew he locked the door with button under his desk.

Jack stood up and walked to me, ‘I quite like you imaginations but no.’

I walked to him and stood before him and sizzled hard, ‘And how no?’ He smiled, ‘I have girlfriend and you are mine driver.’

‘Never!’ Rick came next to us and said, ‘Think about your chance to prove yourself Marilyn.’

I sighed and looked at Rick, ‘Only business I am driving.’ He smiled, ‘she is our business.’

I looked incredulous at Jack, ‘you are going to use her?’

‘No,’ He looked serious at me, ‘She part of our plan to make people think I am not gay and she knows it and agreed to it. She knows the costumer we have our interest in very well. She could help us with to get deal with him.’

I understood it all and realise how close I stood by Jack. Felt a warmth starting coming up from my neck. I took a few stepped back. Rick asked, ‘Are you in Marilyn?’  I nodded. Jack looked pleased at me and Rick smiled happy at me while I was slowly asking myself why even I nodded. ‘When do we start?’ Rick walked back to his chair. Jack said, ‘Tomorrow, eight o’clock by L.O.D. company.’ I nodded, ‘Can I leave?’

‘Yes,’ Rick answered. I quickly left without talking the details further with Jack.

I got behind my screen realising how much happened in one morning. Laura came by me, ‘what happened?’ I looked at her with a look like you are seriously asking me that. ‘Nothing,’ I saw Marja walking, ‘Marja could I speak to you?’ She nodded, ‘in my room.’ I stood up and left Laura behind.

‘Marja, I need to leave this department tomorrow.’

‘I know.’

‘How do you know?’

‘Ow dear, you didn’t heard rumours about you?’ I looked shocked at her, ‘wait there are more rumours about me?’

‘Yes, sad ones.’

She told me about that she knew my personal situation how poor I was and that I hated Jack. That I looked for a way to get revenge on Jack and used Rick for it. I looked at her full of unbelieve. ‘How do you know that all about me?’

‘It is true?’

‘Not all of it but this is more than I was afraid of.’

‘Which part not?’

‘The part that I want revenge and that I used Rick to get revenge on Jack.’ I realised why Jack was sitting in front of me that Friday because he knew it I didn’t used Rick and actually I didn’t hate him.

‘Marilyn?’ I looked at Marja, ‘yeah?’

‘Do you hate jack?’ I shook my head in no, ‘I don’t hate him I said it once while I was drunk. I don’t like him that is it. Only the part I was poor because of Jack is true.’ I realised somebody told Laura that but who? It was the Monday of the first week in the café only Laura and Carla were the ones who knew me. I never said his name because I didn’t knew his name then. It was really quiet in that café. There were some people but how do they know that I meant Jack with it.

‘Do you really think Jack is the reason being poor?’ I shrugged my shoulders, ‘I think he is and how he acts to me makes me think that way.’

‘I know the boys since they started this business and don’t think he is reason of it. I can’t think that way.’ Her expression was confident, somehow I knew she was right.

‘I don’t know.’

‘Find it out.’ I stood up, ‘I will find out. I guess I will see you around sometimes.’ She nodded, ‘yeah I am going to miss a great worker.’ I smiled, ‘thank you Marja.’

‘Prove them wrong Marilyn!’ she made a fist before me.

‘I will do that!’ I also made a fist and shook a little to show strength with it. She smiled and I walked away.