prologue

"Gwen," Archie said seriously, "it was nice being semi-friends with you for like half a second but after that shit you pulled at Cheryl's and now all of this, we should just go back to ignoring each other's existence," Archie nodded frantically.

"Who said we ignored each other?"

"We don't exactly run in the same circles, Gwen."

"It's Riverdale. There are no circles. Just one big circle of everyone getting into each other's business," I corrected him. "And what exactly did I do at Cheryl's?" I looked at him pointedly.

"You embarrassed Veronica in front of all those people at the party and because of you and Cheryl's games, I nearly lost my best friend," he said exasperatedly. "You know I thought you were different to what people say about but seeing you that night, I should've known there was some truth in the rumors."

My smile faded at his stupid, ignorant, one-dimensional-minded words.

"First things first before we go on, Andrews," I said, standing up straight from the desk, "you and Veronica went into that closet as two people with their own minds to make their own decisions and choose their own choices. Whatever other people say or do, the line between right and wrong and whether you cross that line is on nobody else but you. Games and scheming are only tricks used to expose whether or not you've got enough courage to not cross the line when everyone else is telling you to."

I saw Archie gulp, his Adam's apple bobbing as I stared at him with a conviction trying to make it clear to him that I was not the bad guy people made me out to be.

"Forget about your little musical-love-affair, you've got a bigger secret to hide, Andrews."

"And what's that?" Archie spoke carefully, eyeing my movements.

I remained standing in my spot, still angry at the fact that he had the audacity to blame me for what happened that night.

"You might've grown up over the summer but it's clear you still have yet to grow a pair of balls," I said staring at him defiantly.

He scoffed, shaking his head and looking to the side. I was sure I heard the word 'unbelievable' being mumble under his breath