xi: defend

-

"When someone you loved was depending on your lie, it was perfectly easy."
― Liane Moriarty, Big Little Lies

"I'm stuck over you," Chuck read my caption out loud as he doubled in laughter, showing the boys the post of Archie and I with Archie covered in photoshopped maple syrup.

My phone was buzzing with notifications from my post, people commenting all sorts of shit about the golden boy. I even had kids from Southside commenting on it.

Though the boys on the team found it hilarious, I was disgusted by the fact that most of the comments were congratulating Archie on the sticky maple.

It wasn't that I wanted Archie to be shamed. It was that every girl who had ever been a victim of a sticky maple were always kicked down the social ladder into a pit of slut-shaming.

The double standards were beyond me.

The boys surrounded me sitting on the tables as they were all commenting shit about Archie on my post.

"Ease it with the comments," I said to them.

"That's the price of the badge, Stryder," Moose said while continuing to spam my comment section.

I sighed and turned to Reggie who had an uninterested Richie sitting by his side.

"How exactly did this happen?" Richie asked.

"I was trying to win a deal," I told him, "it's kind of a long story."

I looked at Reggie who was uncharacteristically quiet.

He wore a smirk on his face but I noticed that he didn't have his phone out and he wasn't sniggering alongside the rest of his posse.

"So," Reggie said beside me, "did you actually do anything with Andrews?"

"Actually, I'm going on a second date with him," I said to him, trying not to let myself feel bad at the way his eyes dimmed.

"You and Archie?" Richie asked surprised.