iii. hellfire

一

"Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful."
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley, Frankenstein

After the pep talk from Lyla, I felt so much stronger, I could literally feel the ambition and drive stir within me. I'd missed that feeling. I felt like I'd been pumped with a huge dose of adrenaline and I was ready to seize the energy at all costs.

Things had changed over the Summer. It was evident in the atmosphere of the entire school.

So I decided I needed a change too.

Starting with cheerleading.

"What do you mean you're quitting cheerleading?" Richie said as we both walked out of calculus. I casually dropped the bombshell into our conversation during class and now he wouldn't stop pestering me about my decision.

"I mean exactly that," I ignored his incredulous stare.

"But you love cheerleading," Richie said as we grabbed our lunch and headed outside to our usual spot. "And you're vice-captain," Richie pointed out. He quickly popped some fries into his mouth, holding the lunch tray on his other hand as he walked in front of me to open the door for me.

My heart warmed at the gesture. Typical Richie. No smirk, no expectations just a big heart.

I'd missed him so much.

Being around Richie was always so soothing. Everyone would always say he was too nice for our crowd. And it was probably true. Richie was the boy you'd bring home to introduce to your family. Where girls fell for Reggie for his cocky, unapproachable jock appeal, girls fell for Richie for his kind eyes and approachability.

"I loved cheerleading," I corrected him as we walked on. "But now, with all that's going on... I just wanna try something new."

"I get it," Richie nodded as we finally sat down. "But what exactly are you gonna do?"