Chapter 2: Why Can't We Be Friends

*Veronica*

I wake in the middle of the night to gentle snoring. It takes me a second to realize it's Dean Winchester, since Macy and Jayden went up to bed. My entire body feels like one giant bruise, but as I move, the soreness begins to dissipate.

I rub my eyes and roll off the couch, making my way towards his sleeping form. The safe house is small and there's only one bedroom with one bed, so I let Jayden and Macy share the bed and sleep on the couch. It's better that I stay on the couch anyway, in case a demon or something equally unsavory decides to pay us an unwelcome visit.

I stop at the foot of the recliner where Dean is sleeping. His muscled arms are crossed over his chest and there's a permanent scowl on his face. His head lolls slightly to the side, his cheek resting against his shoulder. I take the opportunity to properly oogle him. I mean, it's been awhile since I last saw Dean Winchester, and I'm not gonna lie-he's gorgeous. Naturally, I'm too proud to let him notice me appreciating his hotness, but what he doesn't know will only hurt his ego a little bit (not that it needs to be inflated any more than it already is).

Having my fill of his unearthly good looks, I lean forward and shake his shoulder a little. He wakes with a start, reaching for his gun. I touch his wrist lightly and he looks up, confused, no doubt, about why his attacker is being so gentle. When he sees it's only me, his eyebrows pull together questioningly. I put a finger to my lips as a sign for him to be quiet and then point to the front door.

He nods and awkwardly climbs off the chair without making the old thing squeak-pretty impressive. I fold my arms over my stomach when we get outside. The cold air is an icy bitch-slap compared to the toasty house.

"You better have a good reason for dragging my ass out here in the middle of the night," Dean grumbles, rubbing his hands together, "it's freakin' cold."

I spin and hush him fiercly, pointing to the window of the bedroom a few yards away. I lead us all the way to the Impala where I lean back against the driver's side door before I speak.

"We have to talk and I didn't want the others to hear," I explain.

"Wow," Dean remarks, his tone dripping with sarcasm, "your faith in them is overwhelming."

I give him a withering look.

"They don't need to know just how bad things are. I'm sure you can understand," I say.

He raises his eyebrows at me skeptically.

"Explain it to me, then."

I sigh and run a hand through my short blond hair, thinking.

"Look, tonight wasn't the first time I got into a bad scrap with the demons. Usually, though, I'm able to make it out before Jay or Macy even notice I'm gone. But lately, the bastards have been getting closer and faster. It's harder to keep them off our trail and I'm doing everything I can to keep from following a traceable pattern."

I pause and let this sink in for a moment. Dean looks at me in silence for a few long moments, his expression impassive.

"Alright, so what are you getting at?"

I sigh, look up at the sky.

"I can't believe I'm saying this but...I need help, Dean."

I hear him snort softly.

"Besides," I add, "you shouldn't be hunting on your own either. Jayden shouldn't be hunting at all. He should be practicing magic and doing something he loves not-" I gesture wildly with my hand before returning it to my pocket- "this."