Chapter 8: Snapshot Memories

A/N: This chapter is a bit nostalgic (hence the title). It delves into Dean's childhood with Kris and Sam a little bit, so it might not be the huge romance you were hoping for. Luckily, next chapter should (hopefully, Cas-or more appropriately, Dean and Vee-willling) lead into the first of the smut, but please enjoy the sibling feels!

*Dean*

I glance sideways at Vee, who's sitting in the passenger seat like always. She's been quiet, but that's because she's been asleep the majority of the time. When she's awake, she'll ask how long until we're in Lebanon and then usually she'll chat with Macy or Jayden and eat a snack. Other than that, I feel like I'm the only one that notices the tension still in the air between us.

"Seriously, Dean," Macy is criticizing me (yet again), "I don't know how Vee was able to put up with this music for the last week or so. Who even uses cassettes anymore? Hello, this is the twenty-first century."

Vee picks her head up suddenly from where it's been resting on her arm, and rubs at her eyes, grimacing. She meets my eyes across the car and rolls her eyes as the prophet continues griping.

"Macy, leave the man and his music alone," she interjects, "if you had your way we'd be listening to lame boy bands and wailing pop singers non-stop."

Macy falls silent glares out the window for awhile, pouting like a little kid with her arms crossed. Free from the verbal onslaught (for a little while at least) I let out a relieved sigh and relax in my seat again. Vee gives me an almost impercetible nod, as if to say "you're welcome" and stares out the window thoughtfully.

"How much longer?" she asks at last, glancing at the clock on the radio.

"Should be there any minute," I answer, casting her a quick look to see that her expression is as calm and indifferent as ever.

What the hell happened, I wonder. Last night, she seemed at the end of her rope and for a second, as she was going up the stairs and she glanced back at us, I thought she was going to cry. This morning though, she came down like nothing was wrong, said good morning like she always does, didn't flee from the kitchen when I passed through for waffles...it was like everything was normal.

She didn't even hesitate to ride shot-gun when we came out to the car. Of course, I wouldn't put too much credibility in that, considering the fact that I already know she has a thing about keeping her problems to herself. I can't even chew her out for it, because we both know it's like the pot calling the kettle black. Even still, it's weird after yesterday, when she seemed like she was about to burst and now she's right-as-rain.

I even asked Kristy this morning if she said or did anything that made Vee act like this, but while she admitted that they'd talked a little last night, Vee hadn't seemed any better when Kris left. I want to ask, but I can't with Macy and Jayden in the car. Besides, after last time, I'm wary of what's going to come out of Vee's mouth again.

It's not that I don't feel for her in the same way she said she feels about me. I don't think I would have kissed her if I didn't...but how am I supposed to react to all that? What am I supposed to say or do? I've spent so long running away from the potential feelings I have for her that now I don't know how to confront them or her about them. She seems just as miserable as me with the way things are now, so what am I supposed to do to fix it?

"Earth to Dean?" Vee says suddenly, snapping me from my train of thought.

Her amber eyes are questioning, almost worried. She's probably wondering if I'm going to pull the car over again, like yesterday.