Chapter 3: Our Fearless Leader

*Dean*

Veronica is sitting next to me, leaning back in the seat, relaxed. Jaydena and Macy are napping in the backseat, but Vee is still awake, although from the looks of her, she's also on her way to unconsciousness. We've been on the road for a few hours now, it's almost one PM and we haven't eaten since this morning.

"Are you alright there, Vee?" I ask.

She jolts awake, surprised that I spoke.

"Yeah," she says, "it's just been awhile since I was last able to take it easy like this. It's nice."

I glance at her sideways, wondering silently if she's ever actually had the chance to take it easy in her life. She seems like someone that's had it tough her whole life. It takes one to know one. I mean, my life has been crap ever since my mom died-but I wonder what sort of past Veronica could have that has her taking responsibility for the lives of two other people like she did.

"So what's your story?" I ask at last, wondering if she'll tell me.

Of course, knowing Veronica, that's a big 'no'.

"Please. It's nothing but a sob story. My father was a drunk, abusive asshole that kicked me and my brother around until I was ten. My mom died in a car crash when I was five. Anyway, child protective services or whatever found out what was happening and separated us from him. We were bounced around for about five years before the orphanage we were at got raided by a nest of vampires. I got out and haven't looked back since."

Her voice lacks emotion. I recognize the technique easily enough. If she acts like she doesn't care, people won't give her pity, and maybe, just maybe, she can convince herself that she doesn't care too. I've used it plenty of times. The familiarity of it is eerie.

"What about your brother?" My tone is carefully nuetral.

"Dead," she answers, "a vampire drain him dry right in front of me."

"How did you escape?" I inquire, looking over at her.

At fifteen year old, escaping a nest of vampires is nearly impossible-especially without any prior hunting know how.

"I set the place on fire. I was the only one still alive. While they were distracted, I ran out into the street and started screaming my head off. It wasn't long before enough people were there that I could slip away without them finding me. I ended up killing them two years later when they finally tracked me down."

She stops there, staring out the window in thought.

"That's it?" I question.

I would have thought she'd have something else to add, something to give me a better idea about her.

"Yeah, what else were you expecting? I told you it was a sob story. That's all. I realized monsters exist and I learned how to defend myself against them. That's all there is to it. It's not like the Winchester story-which is goddamn legendary, might I add."

I snort and press the gas pedal down a little harder. This is not something I want to be talking about, as hypocritical as that is.

"Hey, look, I don't wanna know. If you don't wanna talk about it, then I'm not gonna ask," Veronica says, putting a hand up, "it's none of my business."

I clear my throat looking over at her. She raises an eyebrow at me, rust colored eyes steady on mine.

"Yeah, well, it's not as if there's anything about it you haven't already heard," I point out.

She shrugs, facing forward.

"There's no accounting for rumors."

We lapse into silence then, the kind of silence that's heavy because everybody is thinking. Macy breaks the quiet by sitting up and rubbing her eyes.