Chapter 7: Pray the Attraction Away

*Dean*

Veronica and I haven't spoken more than a few words to each other since the other night. I can't tell whether she's angry or scared of me since she refuses to make eye contact. In fact, she tries to avoid looking at me altogether if she can avoid it. I can't exactly blame her for it either.

I don't know what got into me that night, but I suddenly I was kissing her and when I calmed down enough to realize what I was doing, I backed off, but there's no way I can forget the expression on her face when I pulled away. It was like I'd hit her for real or something; and while I should apologize, that would mean we'd have to talk about it, acknowledge that it happened, and I can't bring myself to do that.

Currently, we're working on a this weird "alien abduction" case that Kris sent us on. She promised that after this, we should be safe to go to Lebanon, finally. When we're working on a case, it's not so bad. We can both be professional despite the near constant tension, but considering this other hunter that showed up while we were investigating (his name's Michael Wicket) that Vee apparently knows, she's been even more edgy than usual....which is proven when I come back from being kidnapped only to have her deck me straight away.

"Goddammit Winchester," she snaps, "You scared the hell out of me! Do you know what your brother and sister would have done to me if you'd died?!"

There's something in her rust-colored eyes that says more than words, something in her expression that lets me know that she wasn't just worried about her own skin in this instance. I give her an incredulous look, glaring at the guy in the middle of our hotel room who looks really smug for some reason.

"Yeah, I can tell you were really worried," I spit, that same anger from a few nights ago rising up unexpectedly.

"Trouble in paradise, Veronica?" Wicket quips.

Vee's obviously taken aback by my outburst, but that doesn't stop her from getting pissed off too as she waves the other hunter off in annoyance, like he's just an annoying gnat or something.

"What the hell are you talking about?" she snaps, planting her hands on her hips angrily.

"You're trying to get laid with this guy while I'm missing? Did you even try to find me, or did you just figure I was a lost cause and move on to the next guy?" I shout, not even bothering to hide the accusation in my voice.

What's even gotten into me? I'm not like this with everybody. I mean, I don't mind when most guys talk to Vee, actually. For some reason though, that guy at the bar the other night and this Wicket kid just make me so goddamn jealous that I can't think straight half the time.

The worst part is, I don't know why I'm so pissed off. It's not like Vee and I are together, so I that can be justifiably jealous. It just makes me feel all sorts of things that I refuse to acknowledge whenever I think about her with other men, let alone see it happening like in the bar; and it doesn't take a genius to figure out that her and Wicket have some history.

"What the hell are you talking about, Dean? Did the aliens take your last few remaining brain cells while you were gone?" she snarls, throwing her hands up, "I was asking Michael for help, you jackass! He said he knew what kidnapped you, so I was going to ask him to help us."

She looks particularly disturbed by this thought, like the mere concept of owing her old flame any sort of favor sickens her. Truthfully, it's the same for me, but the implication that she was actually willing to team up with him to help me hits me harder than I thought it would and makes all my conflicting emotions that much worse.

"Wow, you found yourself a real catch," Wicket interjects, almost sounding amused.

Both Veronica and I stop and look at him for several long moments, wondering if he was speaking to me or her.