Episode 4 - Girl Meets Cassie and Zay

It was a rare day off from practice, baseball season was almost over and it felt nice to have one day where he wasn't running around. Zay had opted out of being on the basketball team for the last season so he wasn't going to play, but he wanted to spend more time with Cassie, and his grades. They were applying to colleges soon and he wanted to be able to keep up with his friends, even if they didn't go to the same schools. So he watched as Cassie and Riley practiced, while Lucas sat next to him cheering Riley on.

"So Zay," Lucas said never taking his eyes off of Riley. "How are things going with you and Cassie?"

"Well it's new," he said smiling. "I mean with Vanessa we were too young to understand anything, and when I watched you with Riley as you both struggled to understand what you were feeling for all of those years I realized I wanted something like that."

"Do you think you've found that?"

"I don't know but I'm willing to find out, plus she makes me happy and I hope I make her happy too," he said as he waved at Cassie who was jumping up and down. She smiled at him and waved back.

"Well if you two ever want to go on a double date with me and Riley, I'm sure Riley would love it and she would probably plan the whole thing too."

"One day, for now I'm just happy getting to know her."

Lucas smiled at him before the two of them had gone back to watching the girls run around the gym while they practiced their dance routines. When practice was over for them, Lucas took Riley home so that they could have a movie night with Auggie and Ava. While Zay walked Cassie home, they were going to watch The Notebook that night.

The two of them had started a tradition when they began dating and that was that on date nights, which were Friday's after practice. They would watch romantic dramas, so far they've done sixteen different movies from She's Having a Baby to The Vow. Cassie knew that his favorite was The Notebook, so they read the book before rewatching the movie, Zay cried like he always did. This was something he never showed his friends but Lucas understood and let him have his moment. Some nights they watched with his parents, others with her parents, that night they were alone because his parents had taken her siblings out to a birthday party for a classmate.

Cassie set up the movie, while Zay pulled out snacks that they had picked up from the bodega on the corner. Every once and a while they would smile at one another before settling on the couch as the movie began. They never talked during the movie, they just held each other's hand and watched in silence as the story unfolded in front of them. Zay was respectful of the trust her parents gave them and he didn't want to overstep that boundary.

When the credits began to roll he pulled Cassie into a hug and kissed her forehead, the gesture was innocent but it was always comforting.

"We should do a month with nothing but romcoms because this is too much sometimes," she said to him as she wiped the tears from her eyes.

"Next date night we'll watch The Wedding Singer," he said smiling.

"I have an idea, maybe we can convince Mrs. Matthews to let us host a movie night at the café so that we could all see it together."

"That sounds perfect."

Looking at the clock he noticed that it was just after seven, and they had two hours left before curfew for the both of them. He pulled her off the couch and towards the door.

"Zay where are you taking me," she said, a hint of laughter in her voice.

"Let's go to the café now and she if she's there, plus we could get some coffee and a sandwich or something."