Episode 12 - Girl Meets Family Secret

Maya had her feet on Josh's lap watching the movie on the tv, while Riley and Lucas cooked dinner in the next room. It had become a tradition for them to have one date night together, once a month whenever they had the time. The reason was because they all rarely hung out, and after the whole spying thing, Riley had made it her prerogative to make sure that if the two of them were going to spy they might as well do it in the same room. Although Riley's father had backed down after the truth had come out, but it was still nice.

This week it was dinner and a movie at home, Riley had gotten into this kick where she wanted to cook homecooked meals because once they got into college it would be a rare just for them to come home and eat with their family. Maya wasn't sure where it was that Riley was planning on going to college, but she wanted to make sure that they all spent as much time together as possible. So, these moments were what they had and Maya hadn't minded the togetherness since it seemed as though her mother and Shawn were going through something.

Josh was rubbing her feet which felt nice since she had spent all morning working at the café and her feet were killing her.

"You know those two are in their own little world," Josh said looking at Riley and Lucas moving around the kitchen like they did it all of the time.

"They're practically married the way they're doing that," she said smiling.

Josh let out a loud laugh. "Don't tell that to Cory," he said smiling before his face turned serious. "I know something is bothering you."

"How can you tell?" she asked him as she suddenly became interested in how her hands look.

"Well you're deflecting, making them important, not talking as much as you normally would, and usually by now you'd make fifty comments about how we could be watching something else and not some romcom that Riley would pick."

She sighed before looking up at him. "Well things haven't been exactly normal at home... I mean my mom and Shawn were fighting the other night but it was about something so ridiculous and I start feeling like this is where the cracks start to show and everything... everything falls apart."

"Did you ever think to ask them instead of staying on the sidelines?" he said squeezing her foot to reassure her that he wasn't going anywhere.

"Can you walk me home?" she said taking his hand in hers and holding onto it like it's all that mattered.

"Yeah, but shouldn't we eat first?" he said looking over at the duo in the kitchen.

"Hey Riles," Maya called out to her best friend.

"Yes Peaches," Riley said smiling.

"We're going to my house for a bit but we'll be back if that's alright."

"Is everything alright? Do you need me to go with you?"

"I just need to do something, Josh is taking me, but we'll be back in an hour," Maya said smiling. Riley would drop everything to make sure that everything was alright with her because Maya would do the same, but this was something she needed to do alone. Well not that alone since Josh was going with her.

"Okay, the food will be done by then, and it gives me a chance at making apple pie to go with the ice cream."

Maya couldn't help but smile, Riley was making comfort food, ever since the whole SAT debacle she had gotten into these moods where comfort food was needed at least once a week. Today was that day for Maya and she was glad that she had Riley there to make her happy.

Josh walked them out waving a quick goodbye at Riley and Lucas who were now pealing apples at the table. They walked towards her place in silence, Josh holding her hand as a way of comforting her. He left her to her thoughts, her family wasn't going to fall apart even if her parents were arguing about food shopping, or something that's equally stupid. She remembered the conversation had to do with Shawn forgetting something from the supermarket, but in Maya's head it all just sounded equally ridiculous.