Episode 5 - Girl Meets Driving Test

"Peaches," Riley said skipping towards her best friend. "I have news."

"It's too early for happy Riley," Maya said before drinking some mixed coffee drink that Riley swore she would never understand, mainly because it was cold and pink and she couldn't figure out how it was possible. But Maya, as tough as she acted, loved colorful drinks and Riley loved it because it was something extremely girly.

"Well I have my driving lesson today with my dad so it's the best time to be happy Riley," she said smiling at Maya who looked like a deer caught in the headlights.

"Wait... Matthews is giving you a driving lesson... today, oh god why do I have to work when this is happening?"

"Well because you wanted extra money, and because Josh was working today so you wanted to spend more time with him."

"Wait a minute," Maya said turning towards Riley. "This isn't your first driving lesson, I know because Lucas sometimes drives you to that abandoned parking lot in Brooklyn so that he could teach you..." Maya smiled what Riley called her evil smile. "Your dad doesn't know this, he thinks you're learning to drive for the first time."

"Well.... No and you're not allowed to tell him because he's still freaking out about, well everything that has to do with me and Lucas dating."

"Right, but when he finds out, and I know he will, you have to record it because I'm not missing that patented Cory Matthews freak out, now let me into this freaking café so I can get to work."

"You know I find it hilarious that you work here, but still go to Starbucks in the morning, what the coffee here not good enough for you?"

"That's not it, your mom won't let me try any new drinks and I like these in the mornings," Maya said as her voice got lower. Riley knew Maya didn't like admitting to liking things like that but Riley was working on it because this was just another side of her best friend.

The two of them worked on getting the chairs in place and turning on the espresso machine so that it could warm up. The baker who worked with had baked everything they needed the night before because they couldn't work that morning so Riley made sure that everything was ready in the back of the café. She heard giggling from the other room, when she peeked her head out she saw Maya and Josh dancing around the café together as Josh twirled her around. Riley thought it was sweet, especially since they were both so happy. They both deserved it.

When she finished she quietly left out the back door and walked home to see her father sitting on the front stoop waiting for her.

"Ready for your first lesson?" he said twirling the keys around.

"Yes," she said smiling.

The moment he gestured towards the car three teenage boys climbed in, Lucas hadn't told anyone that they had been driving together, but Riley knew that Zay like Maya would want to see her father freaking out about anything. Farkle liked to analyze everything, and his father didn't have a lot of time to teach him so he wanted to see it firsthand just to know if he wanted this moment with his own father.

"I didn't have this many children," her father said as he climbed into the car. "But now my own wife says we do."

"Oh dad, don't worry so much, you'll get used to it," she said smiling, as her father pulled out of the parking space.

"Especially if Riley and Lucas get married," Zay said and her father swerved.

"Zay, for crying out loud don't say things like that," Lucas said as he clutched the seatbelt. "I don't want to die in a traffic accident."