Episode 19 - Girl Meets Family Vacation

Family weekends have become a somewhat normal thing in the Matthews household, no friends, no school, just the four of them on the road to some random destination. This weekend they were going to a bed and breakfast in Vermont because her father wanted to taste maple syrup and eat pancakes. Riley couldn't believe it when they had picked the destination, but it sounded like something her father would want to do. During the summer they took Riley and Auggie to amusement parks, or a lake, one time they went to Mr. Feeny's lake house which was fun because they learned to fishing that time.

Now they were inside of a bed and breakfast, Riley and Auggie in one room, and her parents in the other. They went to lunch and then her parents went to sit in their room, but Riley knew that they just wanted to be alone for a while, so she sat with Auggie in their room and pulled up a movie.

"Riley," Auggie said as they started watching the Avengers. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure Augs," she said turning to her brother.

He sat there for a minute looking at his hands. "Are you going away to college?"

Riley had only applied to schools in the city or somewhere nearby that it would be easy to come home and visit but she hadn't discussed anything with her family because she hadn't picked a school that she really wanted to go to. Her first choice had always been NYU but she didn't apply because of Maya, Riley hadn't thought about what she was giving up because there were a million other schools that could give her the same education. She had realized that when she had looked at all of the schools.

"I'm not going to go far away," she said if she was being honest she wasn't really sure where she was going to go. "All the schools I applied to are either in the city or nearby enough that you can take the metro north just to get to me."

"Okay," he said nodding. "I don't want you to go too far, because... I still need you."

Riley pulled her brother towards her and hugged him close. "Don't worry Auggie, we can talk on the phone if I move to a dorm, and you can sleep over once and a while. I'll come home during every break and we'll still have family time."

"I know it's just weird," he said looking at her. "You've been there for me my whole life and now you're not going to be there."

"Auggie, my darling baby brother, you came into my life when I was seven years old, you have all of my wisdom, and none of the over protectiveness dad has given me, so you'll be fine, and if you ever need me and I can't come home, just open up your laptop and skype me from the bay window, because the bay window is a special place no matter where I am."

"Okay," he said as she kissed his head and played with the springing curls of his hair.

They watched the movie together, tired from their drive up to the bed and breakfast. Falling asleep in each other's arms not long afterwards. Their parents came in to check on them only to tuck them in and closing the laptop.

"You know we have raised them really well," Cory said as he closed the door to the kids' room. "Other than dealing with hormones, and boyfriends I think we did very well."

"I find it interesting that you mention the word boyfriend, but not girlfriend especially since Ava and Auggie are practically attached at the hip, and have been for years now," Topanga said pulling her husband back into their room.

"Oh please those two are easy compared to dealing with Riley and Lucas."

"Cory, I know you gave Lucas your blessing but he has been nothing but a kind person, even with his past record. Riley is good for him, and he's good for her, you really should let all of this go you know... before he sues you for theft, because those shoes never made it back to him."